- advertisement -

hmm

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, Oct 13, 2009.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

So a few days ago I hosted a party and one of my sister's oldest friends was there. She has been type 1 since she was a child. She came to me and said she was out of test strips and did I have one touch strips she could use. I had one new vial in the house ( my kids were out with their dad and he was picking up more on the way home) so I handed her the vial and figured she would take what she needed and leave the vial. Well she took the whole vial. Thats $25.

I was pretty surprised when I couldn't find it later, I personally would never do that, I would borrow one or 2 strips but not the whole thing.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

She should have been clearer about how many she was needing/taking, but you should have been clearer about how many you were offering. I'd let it go, but remember this in case it comes up again..

3. CrystalK

CrystalK Approved members

It's also possible she didn't realize how much they cost you. We get 400 strips for $18 through our insurance, which ends up being less than $4 a vial. The next time you see her, I'd probably just ask if she had a vial to replace the one you lent her or if she had $25 to replace it. Be honest with her and see if she's willing to replace them.

Good luck!

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I agree. I might even call her to ask b/c that is a bit of money. Or maybe she didn't take the whole vial and it is sitting somewhere.

It might be an awkward conversation but I think you'll feel better.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Probably a case of misunderstanding.:cwds:

Not sure if I would call her on it though. Personally I probably wouldn't have the guts to do it, but it is USD 25, so...not sure.

Good luck.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Well, you could do one of two things. You could mention it and see what she says or you could chalk it up to remember the next time to hand her one strip and that way she won't take the whole bottle as a gift.
    I am glad to share if needed but I am not a gift horse.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I would probably call her and ask where she put it, as it was your backup vial and you can't locate it. If she offers to return or replace it, fine. If she thought you were giving it to her, you can calmly let her know that wasn't the case.

It was a fairly boneheaded thing for her to do, but this would give her the chance to clear it up without any hard feelings.

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

thanks forallthe replies, I won't see this woman again for yrs probably, so I'm not going to mention it. I know its gone, my normally messy house was spotless for the party. I just thought it was pretty rude and wondered if
    i was wrong.

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

That is very rude, no matter if you buy them or get them free. Sounds like there won't be a next time but just in case there is and she asks for a strip just give her one :p

10. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

lets all remember that if any one of your children ran out of strips and you couldnt afford them or something to that effect, you'd want some help. it was a freaking misunderstanding, but at least they went to someone who needed them! much like any one of us would!

11. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Yes, it was unthoughtful and something most of us wouldn't do. But, in the end, people are people and she must have really needed them to pull that stunt. Chalk it up to a 'donation' and be glad you could help another person with diabetes. Lesson learned for next time: ask how many she needs.:)