advertisement

Highest A1C?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kinder23, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kinder23

kinder23 Approved members

Hey everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. I was just curious what was your highest A1C ever? I'm going through a tough spot at the moment with my blood sugars. Trying very hard to get it under control but it seems so hard. Everything I doesn't help. I have a severe anxiety issue which include a very big fear of going low. My A1C at the moment is 10.1 which is terrible! It doesn't help when people lecture me about it. :(

2. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

My highest a1c ever was 7.5 which is ok but I haven't been doing the D thing for very long. I'm sorry you're having a rough time!:(

3. sgkriegel

sgkriegel New Member

Hba1c

This is my 1st day "here", and this my 1st post/reply. First off, I have to say that I'm moderately deficient with regard to this type of communication. I speaks gut inglish, but I don't know how to threat the needle here or how spares things are. I'm not a kid; my age minus the inverse of your age, plus one is your age.

Regarding your 10+ a1c: I've never had one like that ... because it was never taken when I was out of control. I'm type 1 or type 1.5 or something else, no one seems to know for sure. I'm very fat; medically, somewhere between obese and morbidly obese. When someone tells me that I should eat more frequent, smaller meals, lower in fat; not to eat at the end of the day; exercise more frequently - even if its just walking up the stairs a few extra times; I want to through up on them!

Ergo, I'm not going to tell you to try ..., or its ok because ... The one clique that I will use - that shows my age - is that "this too will pass". Obviously you have had some bad times. Try not to beat yourself up too much, almost all of us have been in a similar place. This a1c is history, focus on what you can do for the next one. (is it ok if I don't do an icon?)

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Lots of teens hav HbA1C's over 11 or 12. It is a really tough age to have diabetes! You have hormones, stress - are growing - and being more independent and having to deal with things on your own! Only thing you can do is - keep dealing with stuff the best you can. Everything gets easier as you get older. :)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When I was diagnosed my A1c was above 16% and I've been pretty determined to never feel that bad again, which is at least part of why my A1c has never been close to that high since then.

But I will say it does go up and down and sometimes it is higher because I'm going through too much other stuff.

6. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

Highest ever was a 14.1 and that was because of several factors....... All stemming from an insulin pump I hated with a passion. Its not the one I'm using now but a different brand. Anyhow that problem is solved now.

7. Type1DownEast

Type1DownEast Approved members

My highest ever was 14.. I was in a very bad place diabetes wise at the time.

8. kinder23

I recently went to the endo and my A1C was 8.4! :D So happy! I'm trying my best to get it under control better so I can lower it down to 7. Its hard but I'm refusing to go back up. One of my good friends has an A1C of 6.1. So I feel so bad compared to her.

9. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Yay!:DThat's a BIG improvement. Congratulations!
    Also, try not to compare A1Cs. As long as you try your best to keep yourself healthy, well that's all you can do. Just take it day by day and you'll get there eventually. :)

10. JuliaC

JuliaC New Member

Hi everyone, my A1C has been at 14% for quite a while now, I just can't seem to get on top of things, I use pens at the moment but am thinking about going on the pump, not that keen though, anyone got any advice on pumps or remembering to do the injections all the time? Thankyou!

11. kinder23

I'm sorry about your A1C. I know where you are coming from. For the longest time I was trying so hard to lower my A1C. It looked like I wasn't trying at all making me feel terrible. My friends who is 15 and also a type 1 uses the pen. I've never used the pen before but I was on shots for four years before I got on the pump. With the shots I was still really young and don't remember much. I know that when I was on shots I had to be very precise with correcting blood sugars and bolusing for food. It didn't give me as much freedom as the pump does. The freedom to bolus whenever you want with the pump is a good or bad thing depending on the person. Too much freedom and you don't bolus at all and for people like that the shots would be best. But if you use the pump correctly it can be a great thing. Since I'm a teen and still growing its hardest to keep my bgs under control. Its not the teen's fault. But I was also one of those lazy teens who doesn't even give insulin when they need to. All of that changed one day when I decided I really wanted my A1C to go down. My main point is that the pump would be an amazing thing for you if you are willing to do what you need to do. Why aren't you keen on going on a pump?

12. KatieBug

KatieBug New Member

We found out 6 months ago that are 13 year old daughter is type 1. Her original a1c was 14 and some change. Her three months check was around 7 if I remember correctly. It sure is a learning curve on how to manage this beast, we got approval from the doctor for a pump and now we wait.....for the insurance.