- advertisement -

High ketones, how long before you recheck?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Feb 2, 2012.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

My daughter's sugar was "HI" and her blood ketones were .6. So we gave her a shot and changed her site. 40 minutes later her sugar is down to 567, but her ketones are up to .9.

When should I check her ketones again. And why would the go up when her sugar is coming down. She is drinking loads of water and has not eaten lunch.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Is it possible that you caught the ketones before they peaked and now that she is coming down and pushing fluids that they will clear? I normally wait an hour before retesting ketones, but that is just me.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Ketones are reduced when there is enough insulin in the body. 40 minutes is not enough time for the insulin to fully kick in. I would check 90 minutes after the shot time to see if the ketones are lower.

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My rechecks

I usually check blood sugars every hour to see how they are progressing down.

Keytones take a lot longer to clear though - so maybe if you are pushing liquids - every one and a half to two hours and keep checking since they won't be clear by the first check.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

How is she doing tonight? If youre checking urine ketones, we check about once per hour to 1 1/2 hours. The larger the ketones, the longer they will take to clear. Hope she's much better tonight:cwds:

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

40minutes really isn't really a lot of time to see ketones coming down. When we have high bg and ketones and check in the first hour we always see ketones going up. Did you give extra for the ketones? Oh, and we recheck hourly until they are under .3. :)