- advertisement -

High Blood Sugar After Exercise

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by bluefountain23, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bluefountain23

bluefountain23 New Member

In the mornings I like to go for a 40min run and during those 40 minutes I disconnect from my insulin pump. My blood sugar tends to drop about 40points during this time. When I get back I immediately put the pump back on even if my blood sugar is low and I don't treat the low. However, my blood sugar will then spike up to 300 and stay that way all morning long no matter how much insulin I give myself. Then probably 5 hours later I will crash and stay low for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

3. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter has this problem too, although she often drops more than 40, and drops quickly. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. Gatorade usually prevents the drop, but not the spike later. She generally responds to corrections after these spikes. Hoping someone else chimes in.....good luck!

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Have you tried eating or drinking something that will raise your BG 40 points before you run and not discontinuing your pump but dont bolus for the carbs? Your body may be fighting the rapid drop by raising your BG. Try not to let the drop happen in the first place maybe.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Have you tried dropping your basals an hour before you run so less basal is working hard as you are running versus disconnecting and reducing future insulin. My DD's blood sugars always drop 6 hours after exercise, so she needs to eat more then or reduce insulin then. She does not get adrenalin spikes from running, but does from hockey. We tend to not worry about them as trying to bring them down always results in lows (even when we just do, for example, just 1/4 of a normal correction).

6. bluefountain23

bluefountain23 New Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have tried decreasing my basal during exercise but never before so I will definetely try that. I will also have to see if the gatorade trick works for me.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I hope it works, you might also do some extra testing to make sure your not dropping then rebounding...just in case :)