- advertisement -

High BG and strep

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylesMom, May 22, 2012.

1. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

Last week was Kyle's first experience with being sick since dx. He has had mild 24 hr viruses a couple of times and allergies, but last week he had strep throat, so our first illness involving any type of infection. As expected his BG started going very high, but I am surprised to see they are still climbing. We keep increasing both the lantus and novolog but it doesn't touch the high numbers, he is in the mid 200s a lot, so we will continue to increase the insulin. I'm just wondering how long you have noticed it takes for the BG to settle back down after being on antibiotics? This started last Thursday, so we are going on 6 days.

And now I am wondering too if I should have the strep re-checked just to be sure its gone (even though he feels fine now and his throat looks better), or if his insulin needs are just going up right now for other reasons. Do you think this could still be from the strep throat almost a week later?

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Is he still on antibiotics?? If yes, it is probably the medication, rather than the infection, that is causing the highs. We have had antibiotics cause both highs AND lows.

3. KylesMom

He is, he takes it morning and night. I expected him to need a little more insulin with the meals he takes it with, but I never thought about the medicince affecting the numbers all day...that's a good point.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It could be a combination of several things. If his blood sugars were high for a few days while he was sick, that would cause some insulin resistance so it may take more insulin to get through that. And we've also found higher numbers when Steven is on antibiotics and he's not usually as active so that'll cause #s to be higher of course. And I noticed your son is the same age as my Steven who is definitely starting to go through some major growing lately which makes for higher blood sugars and increased insulin needs

5. KylesMom

He may very well be dealing with more than one thing. We are definitely seeing lots of growing these days too. I am just surprised because as much as I have increased the amount of insulin I would have thought the numbers would have changed some instead of still being stuck in the 200s. We will just keep trying to figure it out. Of course I am sure in a couple of days we will have the opposite problem and be battling the lows. :rolleyes: thanks for your thoughts.

6. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Whenever my son is sick, it takes about a month for his insulin requirements to go down. They stay up at the illness level for a couple of weeks after the illness, and then slowly start to come down. Sometimes they don't go down to the pre-illness levels, but level off a little higher than before the illness. It's like more beta cells get wiped out every time he gets sick.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've had the same experience. She had strep a couple of years ago and it took about a month to get her leveled back out but she still ended up at a higher level than pre strep.