- advertisement -

High BG after Gluten Free Diet?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by DadCares, Jan 25, 2009.

1. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Our 7 year-old type 1 daughter was diagnosed with celiac about 4 weeks ago. After 4 weeks, of a 100% gluten free diet, her BGs are going high randomly... random times throughout the day and night. This morning at church, her BG spiked to the low 400s. We've been increasing basals or ICR ratios on her pump each time there appears to be a trend.

Has anyone noticed BG changes after your child adjusted to a gluten-free diet? Perhaps the millett bread (15 grams/slice) at breakfast is breaking down differently in her body. Perhaps as her body is healing on the gluten-free diet, could her body be absorbing carbs more efficientally?

Just trying to educate myself. With diabetes, we know high BGs can occur randomly, so the high BGs could be nothing more than the typical events we all face with type 1 (growth, excitement, etc.)

I'd appreciate your insight!

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Dad,

You may very well be correct in thinking this.

Check out this link: Combining Diabetes and Gluten-Free Dietary Management Guidelines

It can take months, and in extreme cases - years for the intestines to fully heal. Kids generally will heal quicker than adults. It might be possible she has noticed enough healing to to start affecting BG levels.

Have you discussed this with her doc?

You might also find some helpful info here:

The Celiac Diet #6 - Kids & the Gluten Free Diet
    Practical Gastroenterology February 2007

by Mary K Sharrett, MS, RD, LD, CNSD, Nutrition Support Dietitian, Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH.
    Pam Cureton, RD, LDN, Center for Celiac Research,
    Growth and Nutrition Clinic, Baltimore, MD.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.ed...alth/nutritionarticles/SharrettArticle207.pdf

Here's some more info for your consideration...

http://www.paddocklabs.com/forms/diabete/volume_11_2.pdf

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Al gave great info. I'll just add that we definitely started using more insulin after being gf about a month. Probably a combination of better absorption and the difference in the type of carbs. Rice flour just has more carbs than we were used to.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get it figured out!

4. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

One other simple thing to check...the label for our bread is wrong. When I weighed the actual slice of bread, there was more than a serving in the slice. I actually had to start bolusing more because the label was incorrect.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we saw this.. the villi are probably repairing themselves, and she's probably absorbing more food.. we saw numbers get more steady after going GF.. she didn't have the random lows anymore.. we did see an increase in insulin needs.