- advertisement -

hi (:

Discussion in 'Teens' started by skyler, Jan 13, 2009.

1. skyler

skyler New Member

a little about me first: im 15. and i know skyler is a boy name, but im a girl lol. live in mississippi, its okay, just boring.

i was diagnosed with diabetes on december 1, 2008. way to start off the holidays. :cwds:

im still on shots. i want to get on the pump, i just can't make up my mind on which one i want!

i'm in high school and there's 2 people with diabetes. so at least i wasn't alone. they were great and gave me some advice. did any of you know anybody with diabetes in high school or middle school, whatever grade you are in

2. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

I go to a k-12 school in rural georgia and theres only 500 kids in my whole school but im the only thing close to a diabetic in my school. there is no type 1 or 2's or anything not even a teacher has it just me. but i recently got a pump after being on shots for 8 years and the i got my pump sunday and i love it. its the best. but im 15 and in the 10th grade and nice to meet you!

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Welcome to CWD, Skyler. I was homeschooled for high school, so I didn't know anyone else with T1.

I definitely recommend getting the pump. It gives way more freedom than MDI. Make sure you research all of the different pumps before you choose. All of them have their own pro's and con's.

4. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

Hi, I'm Anna. i'm also a homeschooler but i've been at it since kindergarten(i'm in 9th now and 15). i was diagnosed when i was 10 1/2. obviously i haven't met any other D kids in school but my family and i are very involved with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation(JDRF) and i had a mentor for a few months. now i'm the one doing the mentoring(and i LOVE it.). i highly recommend the pump, i've had it for almost 3 years and still can't figure out how i made it through the first two! do your research and check out some of the threads on here where people list the pros and cons of the pumps they've used, those are soo helpful. here's a few of those-Insulin Pump, So Many Pumps! andA Teens Perspective On Pumping.
    so welcome to CWD and good luck finding a pump!

5. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Hey Skylar, welcome. My name is Caitlin, I'm 15, in the 10th grade. I've been fortunate to have other type 1 diabetics at my school, I think 9 others (there were 12 at one time this year). Two of them are my friends and I talk to 2 of the other diabetics, and I just know the rest. Travis (who I found out last week was dxd in Aug 2008) is my bud, and we fight like brother and sister, but we end up joking about it in the end, I think the nurse's might think were serious though. And Alex coming from his mouth he is awesomeness, he can make anyone laugh. One of my friends that the school doesn't know she is a diabetic is Type 2 I think, we talk a lot in class about teen stuff. We also have a teachers (a T1 and T2) and a sub with T1.

I would totally recommend the pump. Just look into all of them and bring them up at the next appointment, see what they say. The pump has definitely made my life more flexible.

Welcome, again!!!

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Welcome to CWD Skyler. :) Awe, I like your name!! And don't worry, I have a weird name, well, it's spelt weird. :rolleyes: Lol.
    I am 17, going to be 18 in about a month. I'm a senior in High School this year, woohoo!! Uhmm, there are 16 students with diabetes (including me) in my high school, which is grades 9-12.
    Glad you found us, talk to you soon!

7. skyler

skyler New Member

thank you all so much! :) i feel very welcome here.

well im going back to the dr. next week, so i will discuss about the pump. the only pump i don't want to do is the omnipod because its huge.

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Welcome Skyler! I love your name- imo i don't think its a guy name- My name is Rae. I'm 18 and have had d for 10.5 years. I have a minimed pump and cgms which I absolutely love.

9. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

You are weird!:D;)

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Yeah, well, I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones! :p:D:cool:
    HAHHAHA! =D

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Welcome to CWD Skyler! Yeah, there's a LOT of great info in the threads Anna linked. I'm Emily :D. I'm 16. I was in public school for 9th grade, but was only D for the second half of the year. There were a couple other D kids, including one girl who actually used to be my neighbor. Now I'm homeschooled. Oh yeah, and I have a Minimed pump :D. He rocks.

12. skyler

skyler New Member

seems like everybody is home schooled here. i thought about doing it but i would miss my friends and idk about all the home schooling info.

13. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I'm not homeschooled. I go to a small private school.

14. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I'm not homeschooled either. I go to a huge public high school. There's around 2,800 students, 9-12 grade. :)

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

:eek: I would SO be lost. We had about half that, 1414 students, when I was in 9th grade.

16. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Public school too. 2100 kids, way to many freshmans running around.

17. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

I'm a little late seeing this thread, I haven't been on in a while. :eek: So, I apoligize.
    But, anyway, welcome to cwd, Skyler! I'm Kaela, I'm 16, adn was dx'd when I was 9. I go to public school, and I think theres one other diabetic at my school, but I don't know her. But one time, my pump's battery freaked out at school, and it died randomly, and I went to the nurse and she said I could borrow the other girls backup battery. I don't think I've ever met her though....hmmm, anyway, welcome! :) And good luck chosing a pump. I use the Cozmo, and love it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a pm.

18. Tom15

Tom15 Approved members

I got diagnosed two years ago, and have no family or friends with it, but my headmaster at school has it and has for 40 yrs so he set up a meeting with me and we chatted about diabetes and stuff. am coping fine now and also trying to get a pump, but am having to wait due to UK restrictions and regulations. hopefully get one soon tho!

19. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

Hey!! welcome to CWD!!!
    my name is Molly and I am 16.. i've had diabetes for 14 years. I'm homeschooled and lets see umm what else ooo i have animas ping and i love it and yeah thats about all for now haha hope to talk to ya around on the forums!!

20. .sarah.

.sarah. Approved members

hey skyler!! i've had diabetes for almost 5 years and been on the mm722 pump for almost eight months. i'm 14 years old and my name is sarah. if you need any advice on diabetes or the pump, feel free to ask me!!