- advertisement -

HI!! Please help me

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Craig S, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Craig S

Craig S Approved members

Hi everyone, I will try to make this short. My wife and I have 3 great kids 16,12, and 5. Our two oldest are blonde hair and blue eyes, and 5 years ago we had our little redhead with greyish blue eyes he really stood out from his brothers, that hair!! LOL we love it. So anyways Im a type 2 diabetic (worked hard now med free) I started noticing the symptons in Luke, so I tested his blood with my monitor just out of curiosity and boom! HI BG my heart sank. So after a week in the hosptial, cramming in coutning carbs, d classes, learning all about being a type 1 we came home. This was in May 2008. We luckily got him on the Medtronics pump which has helped. My wife has handled this way better than me, I stilll cry everyday I look at him I hate this disease! I hate that my 5 year old has it.....Im sure many of you feel the same, Im just depressed alot, im home with him alot because his BG's are so out of whack, Kindergarten is good, the school nurse is trained in the pump just over all ugghhhhh....so anyways sorry to vent being a newbie. Im tired of the same ole Dr's answers to my questions so I found this forum and everone seems very nice and I definately need support. So my question is everyday his BG in the morning is good, around 110-140 he eats at 6:30 usually a bowl of cereal, or poptart and milk, without fail at his 9am test he is 350-450, should I adjust his bolus delivery in the morning? Ive done it once from 1 un per 20 carbs, down to 1 un per 15 carbs? Or should we try something different for breakfast? Sorry for babbeling so long thank you for reading, and any help would be great!!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are dealing with this. What does your endo say about your question? In my opinion I think it is the poptart. They are evil. :mad: So you could experiment and try not giving the poptart or you could increase his breakfast ratio. Good luck :cwds:

3. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Just wanted to say WELCOME. It is very hard seeing your little child and think, this disease is the rest of his life. But it it can be a great life especially with such a caring Dad. Hang in there it does get easier then harder and right back to easier, all with much management and lots of love and support.

As for the breakfast spike, I don't like to give dosing advice as YDMV but I do prebolus for breakfast at least 15 min and I try really hard to not give foods that are high Gl in the morning, not always easy.

4. Craig S

Craig S Approved members

Hi Chris! Thanks for the quick response, what do you think about cereals? He loves his typical childrens cereals, should we switch to something else?

5. Craig S

Craig S Approved members

HI Man'sMom, wow thank you for also responding quickly! I think maybe I should have joined this forum alot earlier. We have just felt soooo alone with this.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Cereals are tough. What I have found is that some tend to spike my daughter more than others. And it does not always make sense. Lucky Charms, which you would think would send her high doesn't really effect her too bad, but Cherrios do. Go figure. So I think it is a matter of just doing some experimentation, and also keeping a detailed log as to what he eats, when and how it effects his bg. Also, as the previous poster indicated, giving him some lead time can help too. If he is in range before the meal you could start by trying 10 or 15 minute lead time.

You may also find that you need different ratios for different times of the day. Danielle's is lower for breakfast than other meals. 1:10 for breakfast and 1:14 for the rest.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Welcome! Please come over to the parents' board and post. You should be inundated with welcomes and assistance. :)

Sorry you're having a hard time. I am glad you found us. This place saved my very sanity. :rolleyes: Seriously. :D

btw - Bozzie is the only one in our family with gray eyes. No clue where they came from... some generations back I have to imagine. They're the color of a storm cloud. Very cool.

8. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum. You found a wonderful support network here. Your post brought tears to my eyes because I diagnosed my dd the same way - with dh's spare meter. I will never forget the horrible feeling I had when I saw 'HI' on the screen. I'm sorry.

On your question, I want to chime in and agree with lil'Man'sMom. It's common for kids to be insulin resistant in the morning. If this is the case with you, her advice should really help a lot. Prebolusing by about 15-20 minutes and trying to eat lower GI foods has helped us immensely.

How are Luke's lunchtime bg's? If they are high, then you might want to raise his breakfast ratio a bit as well. If they are normal, prebolusing and eating lower GI foods should do the trick.

There's a great post on this website (from about a year ago) with some awesome breakfast food suggestions. I recall the keywords being something like 'breakfast spike'.

Good luck, and hang in there. It really does get easier.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Craig, Im sorry youre having such a rough time with the diabetes. I know its not pleasant for any of us. Ive learned how to react from watching Steven. He was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago. He is one of the happiest, funniest, busiest, most interesting people I know. He refuses to let diabetes run his life. He does what he needs to do and then gets on with it. He never complains about much, sometimes he'll holler at me if a shot hurts or just tell me to "hurry up Mom, me and Harry are playing!" now about breakfast choices, Ive learned from experience that most cereals are real bad! especially cocoa puffs there the #1 on the bad list, followed by fruit loops, honey nut cheerios. most cereals are very processed and are fast acting carbs. Steven usually has a mini muffin and 1/2 pb sandwich with some white grape juice. try some different things to see what works for him. Best of luck to your family.

10. Craig S

Craig S Approved members

Thank you all soooo much! I was at home with him today, scared to leave him his BG hit 453 after a bowl of cheerios, but thanks to you all that have given me some advice, I at least feel like I finally found a place where we can make friends and find help. Im excited! Its so frusterating because from what weve learned, is alot of people just dont understand how dangerous it is and dont understand it........I will go over to the parents board to get acquainted.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome:cwds:

If you are able to, perhaps try giving the meal insulin 10-15mins before he eats. You're pumpin right? So you could do this, IF you're sure he will always eat what you give him for breakfast, then prebolusing is a big helper (have tried it a couple of times, but my son is unpredictable:rolleyes:). ETA: you could even try a 50/50 split ( half prebolus, half after)
    Another thing is to increase his basals for the time period and see if that helps push BG down a bit. I would even up his breakfast bolus a bit at the same time, because of the big spikes.
    Also, try switching to another cereal or try a lower GI one, which won't make BG spike so much.
    Can you add some other kind of protein too? That helps to "soften" the spike.

Good luck. I'm sorry you have to be here:( but you're in great company:cwds:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Hi Craig, welcome to the boards. Like Alyce said, please pop over to the parents' forum (I think it gets read much more frequently).

I agree that Pop Tarts and kids' cereals are absolutely evil. ;) I think they rush into the blood stream before the insulin can really catch up to them. For that reason, I give my daughter's insulin a good half hour before she eats anything like that. That might be tougher with a younger child, but maybe 10-15 minutes would help, if you don't already prebolus. Are you using low-fat or skim milk? Maybe having a bit more fat would help slow down the digestion so the insulin has a fighting chance. Also, my daughter is more insulin resistant in the morning, so she needs a different I:C ratio for breakfast.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi Craig welcome!! Glad you found us.

If you do a quick search for "breakfast spike" you'll find so many different suggestions. It's something that most of us see in our kids. It's VERYYYYY normal. :) We don't like it, but sometimes it's jsut good to know we're not alone.

We also swear by the big prebolus (a good 15 or 20 min) Most kids have a little tiny bit of insulin resistance that early in the am so many of us lower basal on the pump and increase bolus because many of us also see that about 4 or 5 hours AFTER breakfast our kids will drop like rocks.

anyway, just hit the search button and search breakfast spike. :)

14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Welcome Craig.

What has the endo suggested re the extremely high post prandials every morning?

BTW, if you'd like to chat in real time, come over to the parents chat room too www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat

Ellen

15. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Are his bg numbers good the rest of the day? We go through this also with Kaylee .. we have split her lantus doses (does not apply to you since you pump) and she has a different I:C ratio in the morning ... some days kaylee will eat Raisin Bran and she will be fine at 10am and then other's she will be sky high ... you just never know. This morning everything was crazy and when I got home from dropping them off I saw she did not eat all her Raisin Bran (I gave her insulin while she was eating since she always eats it all) So i was worried she would go low and she was 221!!! I just do not get it! :confused: But glad you found this site .. it is great!

Crystal

16. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Craig, you are in the right place. The people here are very helpful, well informed and best of all they "get it."

I also have a red head, the only one of our 4. He gets lots of attention because of his hair. We have always told him how special he is because of it, that it's rare and he embraces it and he doesn't let negative comments about it bother him.

I understand about your overwhelming sadness and grief. With Amanda being dx'd a month ago, right now I think it's more difficult for us than her. She is taking it all in stride. Some days are better than others for me, as I'm sure they are for you too.

Hang in there with what you're doing and hang out here. It'll help. :)

17. Craig S

Craig S Approved members

You all have been so great!!! The last two days is BG has been soooo much better!!!! Sorry I havent been over to the parents board yet to chat, just been busy this week so I will get over there this weekend, I know my wife wants to hop on here to looking forward to talking to everyone. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the advice, its amazing what just little things can do. It is wild how this board does make you feel better, I just got a call from the school nurse and he was running low and shaking BG at 65 which isnt to bad, I can handle those calls.....but I just got sad again thinking of him getting his little finger pricked again, being pulled out of class again....I know for a fact he is stronger than me for sure with this, he is my red headed wild child and I love him with all my heart...so I knew jumping back on this board would help me being able to vent......all of you that left me comments are so great, very much appreciated. Be back on this weekend to chat. Its Lukes 6th bday this weekend so im sure ill be on.....lol