- advertisement -

Hi I'm New Mom on Diabetic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SRK128, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SRK128

SRK128 New Member

Hello

My name is Sammi I am a mom of 4 children. Recently on 1/1/12 I gave birth to twin girls. One of my daughter was diagnosed at one week old with diabetes. She is in the NICU due to also being premature. We have began to think about next year since I am a teacher. I took the rest of this year off. We have thought about getting a nanny or me staying home but day care is out of the question. I hope to learn a lot from all of you thanks!
    Sammi

2. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Have you had testing done for monogenic diabetes? It's really rare to find true Type 1 in a baby that young. You'll be able to find better information in the Monogenic Diabetes section of the forum, but it's my understanding that some types of that can be controlled with pills rather than insulin.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Congratulations on your baby girls...and condolences that you're joining us. I babysat my friends' premie twins for six years. I can't fathom twin babyhood with a dose of diabetes thrown in. Be sure to ask for help and build a support team who can step in to help with both issues. It will be so important for your sanity. Come back often; I personally don't have any experience with young tykes and D, but you'll get lots of good help from others with kids a little older than your daughter.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Neonatal diabetes is transient in at least a third of cases. Unless you already know that your baby has a permanent form of neonatal diabetes, I don't think you should make long term plans based on diabetes yet. Even though it's been a month with diabetes, I wouldn't assume it's a permanent form.

6. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Sammi,

Welcome and I'm glad you found your way to this forum. I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis of your little one. Like others have said, it is highly unlikely that it is an autoimmune form of diabetes and is more likely that it is a Monogenic form. I hope your doctors have sent bloodwork for DNA testing to confirm this. Roughly half of the cases of Neonatal Monogenic Diabetes are transient forms which go into remission within 3 months (but can return later in life). The other half are Permanent Neonatal Diabetes. Treatment will depend on the exact genetic mutation if and when it is identified. Feel free to email me if you have more questions. I am in contact with many parents all over the US with various forms of Monogenic Diabetes so I can try to help you connect to someone either close to you or at the very least, someone who has a child with the same mutation. God bless you in your search. I was a teacher too when my son was initially diagnosed and we tried both daycares and in-home daycare. It's very difficult when they are so young but it is doable if you find the right person.

Christy redcurls3@yahoo.com