- advertisement -

hey can any one help

Discussion in 'Teens' started by tennis girl, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tennis girl

tennis girl Approved members

hey:)
    i want to know which one is good pen/pump?:confused:
    do pumps help &how?:confused:
    tell ur experience about pump?
    please:(

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Hi tennis girl

Pen- several shots a day, long acting insulin with short acting to cover meals and more shots if you correct highs

Pump- one shot every 3 days(most of the time), basals set to your bodies natural bg peaks, easy to bolus for meals and correct highs with out a needle stick, more flexability as far as when and how much you can eat

3. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Hi tennis girl, welcome to the forum,

I'm on the pump, and find that it's much more flexible than pens/shots. I sleep later on weekends, much easier time with sick days, can go with my friends out somewhere and not have to worry about eating or giving my shot on time. I love it! Like nantomsuethom said, you can set different amounts of insulin for it to give you at different times of the day, correct highes, eat whenever cause you just give some more insulin to cover it.

What kind of schedule are you on now, pens, shots??

4. punkinhead06

punkinhead06 Approved members

i'm on the insulin pump and i did use the pen at one point in time. i like the pump a lot better because it's more flexible. the only thing i don't like about the pump is that i have to carry around more supplies, but the flexibilty makes up for the supplies.

5. tennis girl

shot

i take shots of pen two times a day
    bye

6. tennis girl

but

hey
    but i take pen shots 2 times per day
    than what do u advice should i go for pumps?:confused:

7. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Well, if you feel that you could benefit from the pump, if you want more flexibility, want better control, and such, the pump would be a good thing to look into. You should talk to your D-team and ask them, also check out some sites.

CWD has a great section about it, check it out! www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/

8. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Hi Tennis Girl,

My son is 10 years old and now only on shots. 4 a day with Lantus at night. I am seeing in the next couple of years if the pump would be better for him. Right now, he doesn't want to have this "machine" on him at all times to show that he is "special." But maybe if he sees how many times a day he MUST shoot himself in the arms and legs, he will reconsider. Hope this helps.

9. hot_cheerleader_101

hot_cheerleader_101 Approved members

Hi
    Personally I luv the pump. With pens you still need as many shots as you do now, just you dont have to measure them out. With pumps though you only push a couple buttons to get the insulin you need. You only get a shot every 2-3 days unless somethin goes wrong, and its a whoollleee bunch better in almost everbodys i know opinion!

10. Future_Star

Future_Star Approved members

uh huh!

You are absolutely right! But i don't luv the pump. cause i don't even have a pump.