- advertisement -

Her New Dexcom Looks Different

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jun 11, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter's dexcom receiver conked out yesterday and they overnighted us a new one. It's the pediatric version now, which is fine, but the actual buttons feel and look different. The old receiver had slick, shiny black buttons and this one has slightly textured, matte black buttons. Is there anything I need to know about the new style? Is it more fragile (or less fragile) etc?

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We just got the new pediatric one as well. It's replacing our old one which was requiring several button pushes before responding. I'm finding this one is doing the same right from the get-go. I'm hoping the new rough feeling wheel is a step up from the wheels of before that often fell off. We shall see.

3. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We just got the new pediatric one too to replace our old one. The buttons don't seem any different but the alarms do. We have it set at the same alarm level as our other one was and it's just not very loud. It also is not alarming when it hits 55, until after it hits low - which is just weird. This has only happened a couple of times, he would be like 80 and it would drop really fast and say he was "LOW" before the 55 even alarmed - has this happened to anyone else?

I just can't figure out why the alarms sound softer, if we just got one that doesn't work very well or if that's how they are now - what have you guys noticed with the alarms on yours?

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

well I just got a new regular, not peds unit ad it sound like it is the same.

Matte black keys that have a slight texture and are not very responsive to touch. I often have to press a second time on the new one to get the screen to come up.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD's new one just arrived. Matte button is the only change I see. I specifically requested to not get a Peds one and they sent regular...which surprised and delighted me. I get so tired of extra confirmation screens and I wanted to avoid them. And we have the novelty of having a slide cover over the charger again :)

6. Shopgirl2091

Do they not all have a slide cover over the charger now?

I called them because ours just wasn't sounding right and they are sending a new one over night so we will see. I feel bad sending it back because I've only had it two days, but it really sounded weird and soft compared to our old one - and the Dexcom Customer Service said they should sound exactly the same.

I do like how they've added that you can have it alarm if their BG is rising or falling fast, that is always something I have thought would be helpful because if I'm not constantly checking I don't notice it until it hits our high alarm.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've read (on this board, I think) that every once in awhile someone will get a "quiet" dexcom; you did the right thing to send it back. I feel bad for people who get a quiet one as their first and don't recognize it. Ours is just as loud as the old one. With our new cloud set up, the dexcom is staying in the case more often and it muffles the vibration, but I'm 100% positive that it's the case and not the unit.

We had an hour long out of range notification on the first night of having it. I called dexcom and got through quickly (yea!), but it came back while I was on the phone with tech support. They told me my transmitter might be going. I've got the new one in a box, but it was only 6 months in May, so I'd rather not start the new one if I don't have to.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

They all come that way...but my kids manage to dislodge them within weeks :)

9. Shopgirl2091

I was wondering if I was missing something or if they all came differently :eek:

I'm glad I called and got a new one too - I felt bad doing it, but I missed alarms because I didn't even know they had gone off until I went and looked at it to see where he was - glad their customer service is so great!