advertisement

help!

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by k1/9/13, Jul 1, 2013.

1. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

My grandparents won't put me on insulin because they don't think im type 1. or that i have diabetes at all. last night i had cake and ice cream 3 hrs after i checked my sugar and it was 199 so i told my grandpa and he said go to grandma and she told me to take humalog. so i did and bout 1 in the mornin hours after i took humalog my sugar felt low. i checked it and it was 48 so i ate some ice cream (a lit bit) then 3 hrs later i checked it and it was 200. i told my grandpa this morning and he said nothing really and won't put me on my insulin... what should i do? i am a type 1 diabetic because i was diagnosed by my doctor back in january... i have to sneak a vial of humalog and a needle and take it before i eat and when my sugar is high. why don't they believe i'm a type 1? So again what should i do?

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm not sure what your living situation is, but if you have the name of the endocrinologist/hospital who diagnosed you, I would call them and set up an appointment with your grandparents. Or, I would ask that they speak with your grandparents. When was the last time you were seen by a doctor since your diagnosis? Have you had a recent A1C done? Who's Humalog is it that you are having to sneak? Is this a prescription for you? Have you been just on Lantus for a while and are now having to add the Humalog? Sorry for all the questions, but your situation sounds very confusing to me. Have you had any training with a Certified Diabetes Counselor as to carbohydrate counting? Has a correction factor been set for you?

3. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

no i haven't had any of that done it is very confusing to me too i know my limits and what the numbers mean... can you help me and be my mentor with this? please and since they don't believe i am a diabetic they wont really do much for me... im handling this on my own and its very hard and stressful

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

How old are you? No one here can safely help you without an adult also assisting on your end, for example how did you get insulin and strips?

You have to have a physician order for those items, whomever helped you get a prescription and gave you a diagnosis should be helping you. I would contact their office directly and ask to speak to a nurse. Tell the nurse what you are having trouble with, they will be able to help you.

This website can help educate and learn how to handle certain situations, but you need an MD to assist you right now.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Please call the hospital that diagnosed you and request to speak to a social worker. You can explain what is going on (that your grandparents are not helping you take care of your type 1 diabetes) and he/she will help you.

This is the helpline number for South Carolina:
    (800) 645-9789

It is a number for children in South Carolina to call and get connected to resources for help. This would apply if you are living in your grandparents home as a foster care situation or if DSS is otherwise involved.

If the above does not apply to you please call 211. They will connect you to an agency that can help you.

Until you get some more specific advice, I would suggest NOT treating lows with ice cream. For a number like 48 you need some really fast acting sugar. If you can get them glucose tablets or gel are the best. Other decent options include regular soda, juice, or candy (starbursts, smarties, or similar).

If you have any of the following symptoms of DKA please call 911 or go to the emergency room:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetic-ketoacidosis/DS00674/DSECTION=symptoms

I really hope things get better :cwds:

Please keep us updated.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I see from another post that you thought several months ago that you might be getting a pump. Whatever happened with that?

If your "caregivers" i.e. your grandparents are not giving adequate care, at 16 you should be able to reach out to local services for assistance. You've been given some numbers to call; I think it's in your best interest to make some calls.

What you describe is not a healthy way for someone with Type 1 to exist.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep - how old are you?

8. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

my mom is getting my lanuts for me, i told her what was going on and she said that my insulin is in her car so everything is getting better now. the only problem is that is i still don't know a whole lot about diabetes

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Are you staying with your grandparents for an extended period of time? Perhaps now isn't such a good time, since you're only recently diagnosed and aren't sure how to manage on your own yet. How long haven't you had any Lantus? Has it been sitting in the car (hot) for days?

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Six months in, SOMEONE should know SOMETHING about your case. If it isn't you, please call your endocrinologist, or have your mother call. Even if you are having a strong honeymoon and do not need periodic insulin, you need to be aware of your disease and all its implications. Insulin in the car sounds like NO ONE has a clue what's going on.

11. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

ik somewhat about it i did a project and know all the warning signs, how to bring up lows or bring down highs. what i dont get is the carb counting how do you do that? my doctor wants me too start that. he tried to explain it but never told me how many grams i should stop at and he never told me math was involved. so the doctor wasnt very much help when it came to that. and yes its in the car, my mom said thats where it was... is it still good to use? hopefully it isn't all in there. i'm also livin with my grandparents from now on and yes it is a strong honeymoon... i do think im coming out of it and thats why i told my mom this morning.

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Do you see an endocrinologist?

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The insulin that was in the car is no longer good. Insulin must be kept cool -- usually in the refrigerator until you use it.

You deserve an education on how to treat your diabetes -- it is way more than can be done on this site.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You need to call your Dr in the morning and explain all you have stated here. You need help that cannot come from this website alone.

Lantus cannot be exposed to high temperatures, it begins to go bad, so if it's been stored at a high temp it may not be as effective. It should be stored in a refridgerator.

I'm not sure what you mean by "grams I should stop at"...so that alone tells me you are not ready to deal with this on your own. Once you know and understand your insulin to carb ratio you can eat what you want and take the appropriate insulin, but there is no one here who can tell you what that formula is, you need your MD to help you with that.

If you are not seeing an endocrinologist (preferably a pediatric one) you need to get one, now. Make an appointment and schedule a visit with a nutritionist and a certified diabetic educator. Once you've done that and have all the information you need, then perhaps we'll be able to help you with the other information you are lacking.

No one online can figure our your insulin needs, it's much too dangerous to give you that type advice online. You need better medical care, so please get the help you need from an MD or a CDE.

Honestly you could be in danger now, what are your blood sugars doing these days, if you coming out of honeymoon and not taking insulin for meals??? If it's high you might consider a visit to an emergency clinic in the morning so you can get more immediate help.

15. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

my grandma here is also a diabetic and when my sugar gets too high 2 something which my grandpa doesnt consider high i tell my grandma and she gives me some humalog.

16. k1/9/13

k1/9/13 Approved members

everything is okay and under control now

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Are you sure???

We can't help you with specific medical advice but we can help you figure out how to get some diabetes education so you can manage things safely.

Do you have an endocrinologist? If so, PLEASE call them tomorrow morning first thing, and tell them you need an appointment. You need to learn: how to dose insulin (basal and bolus), how to count carbs, how to treat lows and highs and many other important things. It is their responsibility to ensure you can take care of yourself.

If you don't have an endocrinologist call 211 or your primary care provider and explain that you are a teenager and you need help learning to take care of your type 1 diabetes. They will probably connect you with someone at your local Children's hospital that will help you.

It is not your fault that you are in this situation but you need to help yourself get out of it. Please make a plan tonight to connect with a doctor or nurse tomorrow who can help you learn to take care of your diabetes. You are 16. It is your parents or guardians responsibility to ensure you have the knowledge and medical supplies necessary to take care of yourself as well as support you in those efforts. That is not happening here. Please reach out to a nurse, doctor, or social worker who can help you.

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is a dangerous situation. Things are not under control. This is NOT how you manage your health or your diabetes, by giving random amounts of insulin. Insulin is a dangerous drug, diabetes is a serious condition. Is the humalog even yours??

You have been told over and over again to please contact your MD. Do that as soon as possible, make an appointment and find out how to manage things with the help of an adult who will work with you. If you do not have one go to the ER and get one.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

How can it be ok now? You don't know how to count carbs or figure your insulin dose, won't call your doctor, live with a person who doesn't believe you have diabetes, do not have ready access to insulin or needles, and have no education in T1. I am concerned for your health and safety.

It is not all under control from what your posts say.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

This thread is very worrisome. It sounds like a cry for help. The suggestion to call 211 sounds like a good suggestion. I guess schools out for summer, but can you go to a walk in clinic or make an appointment with your family doctor and ask for help ?