- advertisement -

Help

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ccarrol4, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I have all these poems to read, and then I have to answer a question, but I can't remember what it is right now, I'd have to look in my notebook. The problem? I don't understand what the poems are saying. There all poems by John Donne, and they are really confusing me. Does anyone know of a website that will help me understand them? It's due tomorrow by 10am!!! Please help if you can. Thanks in advance. O, and if you want, I could copy and paste the poems I don't understand here if you think you could help me understand them, just let me know :)

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Sorry,
    I am no good with poetry. Well, some Ican figure out but not much.
    :eek:
    Good luck,
    Allene

3. ccarrol4

Thanks, I'm gonna need it :(

Here's the names of the poems I don't understand just in case anyone knows anything about poetry
    -The Canonization
    -A Valediction:Forbidding Mourning
    -Holy Sonnets

(all written by John Donne)

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Well, I just read a Valediction.
    I liked it. I think that what it's saying is that because he loves God, and his soul calls to God, and that love is nonphysical, it's okay to die; that while some say NO to death, he is not one of them. Could be wrong though. He might also be talking about a human lover he doesn't believe he's leaving because of there being souls; that was my first thought, but on second though I think it's God who's his lover.

5. ccarrol4

Thank you so much. Now that you've told me what it means, I can go back and read it and see that too. I really do appreciate your help.