- advertisement -

Help with Summer DayCare Questions - NO ONE will take Cameron!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cameron, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mom2cameron

mom2cameron Approved members

HelP! I am so fustrated and distraught at what's happening here in Nashua, I am currently trying to secure some summer childcare for my two boys age 7 and 9. Cameron is 7 and type 1. The two programs in the area, that I believe are federally funded and are also the best fit for their age group and my budget - are being extremely resistant to taking Cameron. Keep repeating on how nervous everybody would be and the liability it is. I'm now feeling like that I couldn't even trust them.

I honestly don't know what to do. Two nights in a row I've cried outta pure fustration! How can it be so hard to find care for our children? It is discriminatory and just downright upfair -the poor kid can't do **** and I'm so damn tired of it. There is just no way to work and have a career because the lack of resources make it damn impossible. I need to do some serious outreach.

So what can I do? Do I push to try to get one of these programs to understand the need of providing safe care for Cameron? I can try and simplfiy the daily regimen...how much should I depend on Cameron to do at 7? He can prick and test on his own, he can enter in the carbs on his pump, he can disconnect tubing, he can sometimes find the carbs on a premeasured snack. But he can't be depended on to treat himself properly during lows and highs.

I just don't know what to do. I'm worried and extremely fustrated and sad.

Advice, training modules, daycare solutions, support - I'LL TAKE ANYTHING! JUST HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!

Thanks all -it's this supports that makes me feel not alone.
    Andrea

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

You're right it is discrimination. Do you have a local American Diabetes Association office in Nashua? If so, call them, find an advocate. Maybe ADA can offer training to the day care personnel or at least set the school straight on what they are required by federal law to provide. Good luck!

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm sorry to hear that. it really sucks. If they are federally funded I believe you have some options. I will leave that to someone who has been down that particular path. The question you might ask yourself now is IF you really feel comfortable leaving him at a place that isn't thrilled to have him. I hate it for you. At 7 he absolutely needs an adult to step up and help him. You said you feel like you can't trust them, so maybe it's time to start a new search.

Is this all day daycare or more of a summer camp kind of thing?

If you are looking for daycare maybe a home daycare provider would be more open to this.

I would keep things really simple when you interview these people.

4. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

We are going to a camp through the public school system in NC so they are required to take her and required to go through training.
    Our YMCA was also willing to take her as was Park n Rec and they ALL were going to just do additional training during their required CPR/First Aid training and have me come in.

That being said Kerry is 8 and honestly does 99% of her own car, I send sticky notes but she is hypo/hyper aware and we will have her test before and after swimming plus at all snacks and meals while at camp.

good luck!

5. txmom

txmom Approved members

I'm so sorry this is happening. Does your local high school have a "community service" requirement for graduation? You may want to see if some of the T1D high school students want to earn service hours by working at the camp. They will clearly know how to handle highs/lows and are more than capable of following your instructions.

Wish I had a better option.....hang in there.

6. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

Andrea,
    Im so sorry you're going thru this. :( Its sounding like the people running these programs are a little scared becasue they're not educated about diabetes.... Maybe you could try to give them some basic info and feel them out after they've had a chance to read thru and do a little more research? If they still seem scared, and you're not comfortable sending your kidos there (which I dont blame you, I wouldnt either!!) Maybe you could try to look into a college or high school network... There's plenty of college kids that need summer jobs and most are very responsible and willing to be trained - which you could do yourself. It sounds like your son can manage the day to day stuff and knows his way around the pump, so a sitter would be just overseeing the carb counting/pump entering. And then he or she would be able to manage the highs/lows...
    Plus, the advantage to having a sitter in your home is your kids get to do lots of fun day trips/ park outings, etc... rather than just being at a day care for most days :D
    Good luck! hope everything works out for you

7. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

A friend had a school employee do home daycare and since she had some training at the school around D, it worked out pretty well. She has summers off so was available. If you do persue the federal program again, I would see if they have a RN who consults with them and then she could provide training and RN delegation of care. That is how non nurse personell are able to do things in schools that a nurse usually does (under a "delegation"). Every nurse practice act is different so it may be different in your state. Some daycare programs are overseen by a school district. If that is the case, maybe they can be of some help.

8. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I think we need to take a step back and look at this through fresh eyes. From my seat, I wouldn't want my child spending the summer with someone who wasn't trained - and trained well - to deal with diabetes. In fact, unless it was a one-on-one (at the very least a small daycare) setting, I wouldn't trust anyone unless there was a nurse on staff.

I guess that is easy for me to say since my wife and I are teachers and have the summer off. However, if we didn't, I'd do everything in my power to make sure that I left my child in capable hands. I really think it is a much bigger issue than finding someone willing to "take" the child. You really have to find someone willing to do what it takes to "care" for the child.

Do you have any family options? Are you able to pay for a babysitter? Do you have an extra room whereby you can take in an au pair for the summer (if they do that for such a short time)? Can you look for another family with a diabetic child in your area that might be willing to watch your child for a small fee?

9. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

I 2nd this..

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm sorry, Andrea!

These places HAVE to take Cam. They don't have a choice. Does that make you want to put him there, or trust them on what they can do, probably not. If you really want to put him in one of these places (vs. looking for someone to watch them at your place) maybe you can arrange for him to visit for a half a day? That way he can check the place out and the staff can see a bit of what his care is like.

I can only image how frustrating this must be for you!

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't know where you are here in NH, but Hampshire Hills in Milford is pretty well equipped to care for kids with D, they have in the past. We went to the Goddard School down in Nashua, they used to offer summer day camp/day care program, and while it was a while ago, I still know that one of the gals that cared for my daughter is there. Camp Sargent in Merrimack too has seen kids with D pass through the program.

12. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Maybe you could try to look into a college or high school network... There's plenty of college kids that need summer jobs and most are very responsible and willing to be trained - which you could do yourself.

Tap into your local nurses ed program. Call them and ask them if they have any nursing students (esp ones that either have DM1 or an immediate family member with DM1) that they could give your number to.

13. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

I second the posts that have mentioned that if someone or some place says they do not want to provide care it isn't the best fit even if you pushed the issue. Is it wrong? You bet. Could you make them take him? Maybe. Is there someplace better? I would hope so.

I also second the post about a college aged person. Years ago we couldn't find summer care and our doctor suggested an ad in the hospital newsletter. I did not hold out much hope. We hit the jackpot when we got a lovely college girl who had grown up with her brother who is Type 1. She was fantastic. The kids adored her and she knew D like only someone in a household of D would. We only had her the one summer because she moved but it was an answer to prayer.

Here's hoping that the doors that have closed for you mean there is a bright and better option coming soon.

14. suz

suz Approved members

If they receive federal funds, then I think you should be covered under 504? I would do as someone else mentioned, and contact the ADA for advice.

If it is under 504, you could also contact the Office Civil Rights, I was at a presentation they did on the rights of diabetic kids, and they will certainly look into and take the necessary steps.

15. madde

madde Approved members

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. This kind've stuff aggravates the he!! out of me. Tell them to get off of their lazy a$$'s and train someone to take care of your child. :mad:

I would push the issue with them with. Their is NO reason why they can't accomodate your son.

My daughter has attended daycare since she was diagnosed with no issues EVER!

Good luck and I hope they re-think their position!!!!!!!!

I didn't mean for this to come across so harsh. But, I get really unnerved when 'we' as parents have so much to deal with in just taking care of our children and providing them a life as normal of possible. Then, to see some people struggling just to find a daycare/camp for their child to attend, just shoots all my rational thinking out the window. I truly hope you get things worked out with one of the camps/daycares in your are so that you aren't stressed about this anymore. Your child deserves to get to go!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  16. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I'm so sorry you're having this to deal with. We've had the same issues, and have two different strategies:

The first summer, we had a full-time babysitter. I trained her, we spent a few days working side-by-side, and then I had her take over while I went to work, with phone access always available.

Last summer dd went to a daycamp near my office. I trained the staff ahead of time, went over there at lunch for the first couple of days, and then had dd check in with me by phone if there was a question or problem. I really liked that option because I could get over there in just a few minutes if there was a problem.

The other thing that I've found is that people's reactions to the thought of managing D have a lot to do with how I present it to them. I start out discussions like this with a brief explanation of type 1 d, say that it means she has to take insulin, and that every day is a game of balancing her insulin, food, and activity. Then I go straight to the bottom line, so far as they're concerned: if there's any question, feed her, and if, at the end of the day, she's still conscious and hasn't had a seizure, it's been a successful day. Everything else we can sort out later. I do go through signs and symptoms with them, of course, as well as letting them know the immediate risks that are relevant to them (they don't need to know about DKA, for example), giving them specific guidelines (e.g., if she's over 300 coming into lunch, there's a problem - call me), and we talk through examples of when things might get trickier. We talk about the pump and CGM and what they do (and don't do!). But through all of it I let them know that, if she's conscious and not having a seizure, then it's not panic time - feed her and we'll figure out the rest later. I also let them know that I'll be checking in with them every morning to find out if there's anything outside of the regular routine going on, so that we can plan ahead. I find that this approach covers the basics, but doesn't cause the potential caregiver(s) to freak out.

In the meantime, I spend a lot of time in the background doing all of things needed to make this work - adjusting basal rates ahead of time to account for increased activity (then readjusting them once I see how it went), providing carb count lists in dd's lunch, stopping by during the day to check in for the first few days, checking in with camp counselors about upcoming activities, making sure dd has a charged cell phone in her bag each morning, fielding phone calls, etc. It's a real pain in the neck, but I find that the extra time invested at the beginning is worth it in the long run.

Finally, I have a worksheet that I call "Diabetes 101" that I use as a basic guideline for training discussions. I'm at work now and don't have it available, but can post it later if you're interested. It boils it down to the essential "gotta know" pieces of information, and I think makes it a lot less scary for someone new to having a child with D in their care.

Since your son is pumping, that really does open more possibilities. With a pump and a cell phone, he actually shouldn't be too much of a challenge for the caregivers.

Good luck getting a plan in place!

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights last year on behalf of my son against a summer camp program. We went through OCR mediation, and I won full accommodations for him and other kids with disabilities.

I found OCR very easy to work with, and it was a positive experience for me.

PM me if you'd like more information. The "accommodation" the summer camp initially offered was to call 911 if Jack had a seizure. Obviously, the OCR mediation got them to change their tune substantially. ;)

18. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

this is great for me to know because I was recently told that my son wouldn't be allowed at the local zoo camps due to his "condition" and nobody available with medical training. Now I know where to go, thanks for posting this :)

19. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I wondered how things had turned out for you, Karla. Way to go! Thank you for filing that complaint and getting things changed. I appreciate your efforts!