- advertisement -

Help with a teenager that's on his own.

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by truck2ff, Sep 3, 2010.

1. truck2ff

truck2ff Approved members

I think he has a script from the clinic. I think it's pretty resonable. I'm going to check.
    Thanks for the information, I may need it if it turns out that the lab doesn't work out.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Yes, if he's not already then 15 minutes would be excellent when he can manage it. Not to make a religion out of it if you know what I mean, but when he can make it work.. :cwds:

3. truck2ff

I'll talk to him about it. Thanks:cwds:

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hats of to you for all of the kindnesses you have shown to this young man. You are a great role model.

Kathy

5. truck2ff

Thanks, I just hope with everthing else on his plate he's able to continue his care on his own when the day comes for him to do that. I have the time and it just seemed silly for this kid to wind up as what we refer to on the FD as a "frequent flyer". We run so many calls on people that are in trouble because they have never managed their d and I doubt ever really knew how. Of course many are type 2's, but in the last 5 or 6 years it seems like more type 1's that just don't have the resources to manage it like they should.

Sometimes I wish we could do more...you do what you can do.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

And you're doing what you can do here, and making a difference! :)

What this is all about right now is trying to get him on a regimen that works with his current lifestyle, and to ingrain some good habits.

Good progress has been made.. :cwds:

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

You really are making a difference. I remember hearing a radio program and this kid (20ish) rang in saying he was panicking - his HbA1c was 3 times what it should be - I guess around 18 - and he was out of adolescent care and couldn't find an endo to help him sort himself out. He was working as a chef and based his entire care on corrections! It seems there is a vacuum for young people who are only just realising they want to have a good future and have no idea where to start.

If you have taken a wrong turn and don't know how to carb count or work out your correction factor - you have no chance of control. You are doing really important work here! Everyone should have someone to help when the going gets rough!:)

8. truck2ff

Well, I don't have any numbers to share with you guys for input this week. :( I've been trying to get in touch with him all week. I just found out that he's going through some issues that for reasons of privacy I can't share them on a public forum like CWD.

His life is just a mess right now and his D care is probably the least of his worries. I wish I could help more, but this is something I can't do anything about right now. About the only thing anyone can offer him right now are prayers.

I don't know how things can get so complicated for people so fast, it makes me appreciate the family and friends I have even more...I hope he can find himself back to being helped with his care once he's able to sort some of this out.

I wish I knew what to do now.
    Thanks everyone...if his situation changes I'll let you guys know.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

The only thing you can do is to encourage him to follow the regimen that he's been given. He can't go too far wrong with it.

Oh, and to let him know he's got you (and through you others) who care about him and are in his corner.. :cwds:

10. truck2ff

Thanks, Wilf.

11. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I hope he is doing at least the minimal care and can make it thru his current issues ok.

Thanks for helping him!

12. truck2ff

Well, I finally found out where he was. Hospitalized. Sounds like for a severe hypo. and given his current personal issues you can probably figure out on your own how that happened.:( He's out of the hospital and bouncing from place to place where he can stay. I put the word out with a few people that have seen him (his phone is dead, can't afford to keep it) that if he needs anything or wants to talk to me I'm available, no strings attached.

A friend at the hospital that knows him said that he saw an endo while he was there, who promptly changed his insulin regimen from the one we helped him set up to one that uses lantus and novolog, (which he can't really afford once he runs out of what they gave him in the ER) So I heard he blew that off and stuck with what he was doing while we were working with him.

I'm not sure if he'll want to reach out for awhile. I hope he's at least still taking his insulin. I thought that those of you that have offered so much help should at least know what happened. I'll keep trying to help and if things ever get back to normal for this kid, I'll try to keep you guys in the loop. Thank again.
    Truck

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My heart really goes out to this kid.

It must be so difficult...I can't begin to imagine. As you mentioned previously, it does make me appreciate the family and support system we have here.

Continuing to reach out and be available to him, even if he doesn't act on it right away, a great blessing for him. I do hope he reaches out eventually.

Thank you for what you do. :cwds:

14. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

OH, wow,I'm so sorry, this poor young man... I'm so sad to hear he was hospitalized...

Sending up best wishes and blessings for him that he finds peace and calm and is able to come back to you for continued guidance.

15. truck2ff

I can't really imagine it either. He needs help on so many levels that it doesen't suprise me it overwhelmed him and that's without throwing D into the mix.

16. truck2ff

A few of you have contacted me to see where things ended up and I guess I should give you an update. After being unable to track him down after his hospitalization, he called me yesterday out of the blue to apologize and asked if we could still talk. I said fine and we've been in a game of phone tag since then, because he doesn't have a phone and he's calling and I'm leavng messages through a family member of his.

He's kinda messed things up for himself, but maybe we can get him headed back in the right direction one step at a time. I have a few supplies left that you all were so kind to provide and it looks like I can finally get them to him. I had heard that the doc at the hospital put him on a different insulin regimen. I'm hoping we can pick up where we left off and get him some sort of subsidized care and supplies like we were trying to do prior to the wheels coming off. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your concern for this young man.

17. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I just read this whole thread through for the first time. I am so very sad to read about this young guy and how difficult his life is. I hope you get to talk to him soon. Please keep us posted.

18. truck2ff

Still playing phone tag, I think we're having issues with his phone through his family, I'm getting some weird messages. I'm going to try again today and see if I can't catch up with him. If not, I may just have to try to track him down after Christmas. I'll try to let you know once I make contact with him again.

Thanks for your concern and have a Merry Christmas.

19. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think it is a REALLY good sign that he is trying to get in touch with you occasionally. It shows that you are helping him.:cwds: Thanks for being so persistent with him!

20. truck2ff

Well, hopefully he's going to get back with me. I left another message with a family member, but haven't heard back. I'm hoping maybe he's waiting till after the holidays to get back in touch.