- advertisement -

HELP...what should i do???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. Carseatmama

    Carseatmama Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Kadie Bug has large keytones...high bs..fever...throat infection, ear infection. When do you go the hospital???She is sleeping so she's not drinking right now to flush them. She vomitted about an hour ago..very small amount. What do I do??
     
  2. kiwikid

    kiwikid Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    Messages:
    3,011
    How high is her BG? Is it coming down with Corrections? Do you think the site is okay? Will she wake enough to drink any water?
     
  3. StillMamamia

    StillMamamia Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    Messages:
    13,195
    I'm sorry.:( Hang in there, ok?

    Is she taking meds for the infections? Can you call the pediatrician or the endo to see what you can give to calm a bit the stomach?
    Yes, like Jane wrote, try to get her to sip some water (like a few sips every 30mins or so).

    If you have not done so yet, you can correct by injection, change the site if needed, and run an aggressive temp basal for a few hours (check with your endo on this).

    If you feel unsure, just head to the ER. Especially with the infections, it may be too much.

    Good luck!
     
  4. Carseatmama

    Carseatmama Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    239

    I calld our endo, he had me check her blood keytones, it's 3.7:eek: So he had me give her an injection of 2 units. I have to check her blood kt again in two hours. If they are still high we have to head for the hospital. Here's the problem with that..our Hospital SUCKS !!! Last time we went there it took them 5 hours to get her an iv. Also she just vomited again. I hate this...how am I gona handle two with D??????:(
     
  5. etringali

    etringali Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1,678
    Oh Boy. Hang in there.

    if you go to hospital, be a total pain in everyone's butt that the iv is needed NOW! Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. :) Good luck. HOpe she feels better soon.
     
  6. Toni

    Toni Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,882
    Large ketones and vomitting, I would go to the ER. I would probably go to the ER with large ketones alone. Just reread post; do you have a children's hospital anywhere near you? Instead of your hospital? Are there any other hospitals in a nearby town you could go to? P.S. Two with D, I absolutely cannot imagine, but there seem to be quite a few with two dx'd here and they do as well as the rest of us, maybe even better. I know you will somehow handle it when the time comes; don't worry about it until you absolutely have to. Worrying in advance is just going to cause you more stress. When the thought comes in, just put it out of your mind for now. Easier said than done. Or you can give yourself a certain time at night to worry; rest of day, push the thought right out. You are going to have to take BS and do what you have to do. I know you will do a great job, as you are doing with Kadie.
     
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  7. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    9,633
    Is there a different hospital around? I would probably check ketones in 1 hour to see if there is any decrease at all. Also, if you see the blood sugar coming down, then hopefully ketones are as well.

    You need to get her to drink lots of liquid. If it were my kid, it would have carbs so I could give more insulin. Right now, the ketones are eating up all the insulin you are giving her, and the only way to get rid of them is to give lots and lots of insulin and fluids to flush them out.

    Our last major illness, the Swine Flu, I had to double coco's insulin needs, but she was wearing a CGMS, so it was easy to be brave about doubling up. It barely got her under 300, but it kept the ketones at a minimum.

    But honestly, 100% best bet is to get her medical attention...
     
  8. GaPeach

    GaPeach Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Messages:
    2,218
    I would head to the hospital and insist on an immediate IV. Also, call the endo and have them alert the hospital that you are on the way. They should call your endo upon your arrival.

    Take care of her now and she should be getting at least a bit better by Christmas.

    I hate for mine to be ill at Christmas.

    Praying for things to turn around today for Katie Bug.
     
  9. Judy&Alli

    Judy&Alli Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    3,159
    Just seeing this now. I hope Katie bug is on the mend, and you are all sleeping. Hugs to you!!!
     
  10. Carseatmama

    Carseatmama Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Ok, so this is what DKA looks like. Never been so scared...Her KT are .6 now, I have to check her again in about 15 minuets. If she is still at .6 I have to call our endo again. Found out that all this was caused by her canual being bent. I hate DIABETES !! I need a nap.
     
  11. lhazc

    lhazc Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    Messages:
    58
    I hope your little girl is feeling better, push lots of fluids to prevent dehydration from the ketones and high blood sugars. If she can't take much fluids than I would go in for IV fluids. I understand how you feel about having another child with D, I am in the same place with our youngest + for all three antibodies and a failed GGT, our second GTT is pending but we are seeing post meal numbers near 200 on a regular bases, I to wonder how on earth we'll manage, but I know we will somehow. Hang in there Lisa
     
  12. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    9,633
    Well, I would say it is the START of DKA...she probably wasn't DKA yet! It is good news that it was just a canula...then, once it all clears up, she will be fine! No hospital for her!
     
  13. 2type1s

    2type1s Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,438
    Hope she is doing MUCH better by now...this is my first time seeing this! I'll only chime in with this...even if her ketones are down, please push fluids. It's the one thing I've learned over the years (and I'm one of those with 2 D's!) is that fever+ vomitting + not drinking = I.V.
    It is nearly impossible to replace those fluids orally. the last time Morgan was sick like this she started with fever at 10:00 at night, vomitting, large ketones, and basically incoherent by 4:00 a.m. took her to ER and she was started on antibiotics (only after strep came back positive). However her vital signs were so bad they had her in a trauma room because they assumed she was DKA (nope...."just" strep). However, it took 4 bags of fluids to get her to a point where her heart rate returned to normal and she was not dehydrated severely. This showed me how much fluid it takes to replace when a child is dehydrated (I should say that Morgan is a teenager, so she's more adult-sized). But if you think of it in liquid terms..it was 2 2-liters!!!!
    Also, dehydration causes nausea and vomitting, creating a viscious cycle. So a kid can seem better, then not feel well the next day because they weren't hydrated enough at bedtime and then feel worse again because they got more dehydrated at night.
    Each kid is different, however, and you as her mom will know best. Zoe has never been to the hospital for diabetes reasons, and Morgan has been at least once a year for the last 10 years! She's just a different kid. When she gets sick, she just crashes and burns. She goes from normal to seriously ill in a few hours.
    And if the nightmare of 2 kids becomes a reality, you will be able to handle it. I promise. I'll be right here.
     
  14. Carseatmama

    Carseatmama Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Kadie has had KT on and off all day. Her bs is 478 and Blood KT is .8 . She has no disire to eat. I have to call the doc back in a couple hours.
     
  15. 2type1s

    2type1s Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,438
    Have you taken her pulse? Also, check her respiration (how many times her heart beats/or breaths she has in a minute). Those numbers help alert to more serious situations. I find that if I give these along with blood sugars I get a pretty immediate response of "go" (if they're off).

    I hope and pray she has turned the corner by the time you read this. We were in the ER 2 Christmas's ago and it was not fun!
     
  16. slpmom2

    slpmom2 Approved members

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Messages:
    641
    I'm so sorry you've all been having to deal with this today. It sounds like it's much more under control now than it was, and I hope it continues to get better quickly.
    Hang in there!
     
  17. MySweethearts

    MySweethearts Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    574
    I hope your DD is feeling better :(
     
  18. GaPeach

    GaPeach Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Messages:
    2,218
    Bump.

    How is Kadie Bug doing? I hope she is feeling much better and ready for Christmas.
     
  19. Carseatmama

    Carseatmama Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    She is doing great now....except now she has the awakey poops:(
    Could be from the anti biotic???
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice