- advertisement -

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tymaxtess, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tymaxtess

tymaxtess Approved members

Three tests in a row tonight--3 different fingers--3 totally different readings!

I know some of you are opposed to using alcohol wipes--which is what we used before the first reading (cause I'm too lazy to get up and wash my own and Tessa's hands) and our reading was 208.

Concerned, I chose a different finger (again with alcohol wipe) and got 330.

Very concerned, we both went and washed hands and then tested again--156.

So, assuming the 156 is right and the others false high readings--is it because of the alcohol wipe? I made sure fingers were completely dry before testing or touching the strip.

If so, why do dr. offices use the alcohol wipes?--at least mine does before testing.

I'm just frustrated and worried that many readings have been off--maybe I have been concerned for nothing all this time??

Do you wash hands before every test? Do you think I need to get another meter, just in case something is wrong with mine?

2. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

yes, we wash hands for every test. I won't use any chemicals to clean with other than soap and then rinse very well with water...even some soaps might leave a residue which could skew the numbers. Better safe than sorry. You don't want to be too lazy to get up and wash hands and then be chasing a low because of giving two much insulin, which will cause you to be up most of the night which in my mind would defeat the purpose of being lazy in the first place, right? :)

3. missnme

missnme Approved members

Our doc also uses alcohol, but dries it off really well with a cotton swab before testing. It's easier at home to just wash. I noticed at camp they used hand sanitizers if they were out and about and let that dry. I try to use soap and water. I also heard a tip from a parent to always wipe off the first drop and use the second. That has made a huge difference in the accuracy of our readings.

4. dreama

dreama Approved members

we also went though almost the same thing only with lows. do u have the test solution? if so use it and see if the meter is reading right, we had to call 911 because of her low(she was reacting to them) and our meter was reading lower than theirs was. they were great after getting her back to normal they left and about 15 minutes later came back with a new machine for us! i was told that the machines are good for about 1 year. i call the maker of the machine(onetouch ultra) and they sent us another one for free. i make sure every year i get a new one and i keep a back up, just in case( like the time my husband accidentally ran one over when it fell out of the bag as he was getting into the car!:eek:)

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If are testing his finger, Seth always washes his hands. When it's not convienent to wash his hands...We test his arm. I have found that both readings are VERY close;)

We have never used alchol swabs to clean his fingers because we were told that it would be drying to his skin. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt in a pinch though..:cwds:

6. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

we were told by the endo and the cde never to use the alcohol wipes that it skews the readings.

7. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I would think she had something on her hands. We have experienced this w/ alcohol. I believe it was just not cleaning enough. We use plain ole soap and water, unless out now.

8. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Which meter are you using. We use the freestlye and I have noticed that when I let my son do it himself we were getting higher readings...so I watched how he did it and he was "scraping" the skin to get the blood rather than let the strip "wick" it in...he was getting residue that was embedded into his skin....once we showed him how to do it correctly we have never had a problem since.....

I would definately trust the lower number.....

9. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

We use alcohol wipes - all the time - no problem. You need to ensure it drys off prior to testing. So we wipe, then take out a test strip, load it, cock the lancet, poke (at this point the alcohol is gone) and test.

sammysmom had a great call with the "wick up" - you really want a little bubble of blood and lightly touch the strip to it. You do not put the strip in the blood - you just kind of touch the edge of the bubble of blood and it sucks/wicks it up.

You may also have some bad strips - that happened to us once.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

first, we never ever use alcohol unless its the last thing we have.. it screws it numbers if its not completely dry.. plus its dangerous if it actually gets INTO the body through that little pin hole..

we always wash hands with soap and water (as much as we can.. plan baby wipes come in handy.. :) )

also, when washing hands, make sure they are completely dry afterwards... if not it can make the number lower than the actually are (we tested this with kaylee too.. )

how have her numbers been?

11. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I must agree with the warning of making sure the hands are completely dry. One day during a break at a pool I tested Jacob and got LO on the meter. I quickly retested to find that he was completely in range. It turns out that his fingers were still somewhat wet. I'm glad the only LO I have ever seen was by user error. It certainly had me moving fast

12. lynn

lynn Approved members

I've been wondering how you guys are doing. I guess things haven't suddenly turned around or you wouldn't have been testing her.
    I use alcohol wipes on Nathan quite often. I have also "tested" the accuracy a couple different times by having him wash his hands and testing a finger and then wiping one with alcohol and testing again. The numbers are very, very close when I have done this. I do think that the size of the wipe may allow some things to stay on the finger so I swipe it with the back side of the wipie too. My CDE told me to never use baby wipes because some of the ingredients will cause a false high. And I can't understand how hand sanitizer gets the hands clean to test? Sanitary? Yes. Clean? I don't see how. It all gets confusing...
    Anyway, I seem to remember you doing multiple tests in the past and they haven't given wacky results like this. So, I wouldn't let this situation cast doubt on everything.
    Maybe her finger was still a little wet. I have the rule to trust the lower number, but if you got a bit of dampness into the blood then it wouldn't take much to give a much lower number.
    Maybe the batteries are going. Have you ever changed them?

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Very true -- with the Flash (and other meters) even though it only "requires" a very very small sample, you still need a BIG drop of blood so it's not contaminated with anything else on the skin.

If you use alcohol -- use a cotton ball or a kleenx to wipe off the first drop of blood and use the second (big) drop of blood that you can squeeze out. That way, if there is anything skewing the numbers on the first drop, the second drop should be clean.

BTW -- if Carson doesn't wash his hands, I make sure and get a paper towel. I wet it on one side, wipe off his finger, and use the other side to dry it. I will ALWAYS second guess the reading if he doesn't wash.

And for me -- I wash with soap every time.

But -- even a 156 reading isn't very normal for a non-D kid. I can't remember -- has Tessa ever been tested for antibodies?

14. tymaxtess

Yeah--I can't say I feel super about the 156 number, but it is WAY better than 330! :) She has been tested for antibodies-- the GAD and islet cell, but not insulin antibodies (don't know if that matters). Negative for those.

I guess I'm going to just suck it up and do all our testing in the kitchen after washing hands. I have tried to make the whole thing comfy and no big deal by testing alot in the living room while she is watching TV, but that required the ease of the alcohol wipes. Oh well.

15. tymaxtess

I don't test very often, but whenever I do she is higher than she should be. I tested her while she was sleeping last night and she was 79. So, she is still following the same pattern--going high after meals and then eventually returning to a normal number. ??????

We changed them, so that isn't it. I think I might get a second meter for some confirmation...

16. tymaxtess

Like I said in my previous post, I don't test very often. I have been trying to be laid back about it and just watch for more serious symptoms. However, whenever I do a random test (like last night) she is high. Frustrating. I think I tested her about an hour or so after having some popcorn (while watching a movie) and that is when we got the 156 (or 208/330) number.

17. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

That is exactly what we do, all the time. Mia washes her hands before and after each meal and snack, so there shouldn't be anything on her hands but I have found that the technique above works really well for us and is very accurate.

Nice to hear from you again, Tx btw!!
    :)