advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help understanding...

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by show2tj, Feb 27, 2012.

1. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

Our Sebastian 1yrD just went from a month where we had to super bolus him for things like bread and now, while we did just increase his basal during the day to .5, his old boluses are running him a little low and he barely goes over 140 after eating carbs. Basal at night is .05 and sometimes he still drifts down. His CGM graphs are almost flat. How can this be? Is this a prelude to something bad to come? He isn't sick. Any thoughts?

2. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

The human body changes give or take every 7 years. We grow, age, develop... the rates will in time get changed too. A fifty pound boy has a different body than his older self right? No magic there...

It sounds like you're getting clean patterns, something you can examine pretty easily. Its when things are random or wacko that they tend to get ugly...

Flat line IMHV indicates whatever formulas you have going they are basically working. No highs, no bounces, no dangerous lows. The right procedure(s), the right time frames. More or less a nice clean straight line, presumably in the basic neighborhood you want them to be...

As to how the lines can be flat they are not truly. Neither the meters, nor the CGM's are venous blood-drawn numbers. because of that fact, they are not true or accurate. What they give is patterns... which require tweaking to eliminate problems, or give you the thumbs up in your case... Its all just a math problem, get too emotionally attached to any of them and that causes more damage than whatever the reading(s) might truly be most times.

Far as I can determine you're doing just fine...

3. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

Flat graphs revisited

So we are thrilled to have some stability. What I don't understand is are there people out there with eternally flat graphs? Are there folks who are mathmatically maintaining their diabetes so that their pattern show very little variation? We really thought it was impossible to keep bg between 70&150. We are so determined. I keep thinking that theoretically, the insulin should be able to cover anything you eat depending on the timing and dose, so we have done a lot of experimenting... I have begun to realize that this stuff is very persOn dependent, but are there people for whom flat line graphs are the norm and they just know how to mathmatically tweak their pumps? All I know is that whenever we have followed the endo teams number recommendations we have had huge spikes after eating. We use their advice now as a general guideline. So I am wondering if these kinds of results are achievable on a consistent basis?

4. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

PS

Thanks for your input!