- advertisement -

Help! Sensor pushing out!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Mama2H, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

At every tape change the sensor is sliding out of her skin :mad: The first time I put it off as a fluke, the 2nd time I was annoyed, this time I am getting upset! We are used to getting a minimum of 14 days out of a sensor and the last three haven't even made it 7 :eek: I go to change the tape, Hailey will hold down the sensor for a little bit and then forget, then I go to hook up the transmitter and the sensor will have slid out of her skin :(

Hailey is mid volleyball season so her tape usually doesn't make it more than 5 days before needing to be removed, cleaned, and replaced.

So what do I do? Start taping the sensor down after removing the tape to clean her skin and charge? Take it as her bodies way of saying that 7 days is too long? Put it off as bad luck?

I welcome ANY suggestions :(

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My experience is only with the Navigator.
    Never had that happen??:confused:
    I have to sometimes replace part of the tape even though we wear it 5 days. I don't take off the transmitter to do this. Do you have the transmitter off when you replace the tape? I just cut a new piece(opsite) with the transmitter hole cut out and put it over the the tape I left. I cut off any loose tape. I leave the rest of the tape on.

Is this with the Minimed or the Navigator? I have no experience with the Minimed.

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We have the minimed real time system and have been using it for way over a year. This is a new development :mad: Last night I tried putting a piece of opsite (paper punched a hole for the sensor to go through) under the whole thing to see if it helps :(

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

You have way more experience that we do. For us, I cannot tape over the entire thing. I just use strips of opsite tape. The only time I have taped the entire thing was a few times for swimming this summer. I put a square piece of tape under the transmitter and then two strips one over the sensor careful not to cover where it connects and one longer one over the transmitter. I make sure the two do not overlap because it is too hard to try to get it off separately. I usually leave the sensor tape on and just take the transmitter off while charging then put it back on with new tape and then replace the sensor tape if needed.

We have also had good luck covering the sensor on his arm with a sweatband during sports rather than extra tape.

Just wanted to add that we haven't had any problem with infections so far by not covering the entire thing. In fact, the minimed rep said we didn't need to put tape over it unless we wanted to secure the transmitter a little so it didn't catch on things. There was a person in our class who had trouble with most tapes.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would do exactly as you suggested - after I took the tape off and cleaned her skin, I'd put a new piece of tape over the sensor to keep it in place. I do that with Jack while the transmitter finishes charging, and it works well.