advertisement

Help Re: Intense Sports Camp and Pumping!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by B's Mom, Jul 15, 2008.

1. B's Mom

B's Mom Approved members

Hi everyone: I haven't been here in ages! I am so glad there's a forum now--I have been trying to wrestle with this dilemma on my own--and who better to ask than you guys!

My son is 12 and heading to a basketball camp for a week (his Dad is coaching a session there too) but we are so concerned about what to do for his pump needs. We have found that a regular practice for basketball will drop his blood sugar shortly afterwards so we always give him approx. 30g carb before and 30g afterwards. We have found we need to test him even up to 4 hours later as he will inevitably drop again-and always during the night. We have a good handle on the twice a week BB routine, but this camp will be intense and like one big 6 hour practice! Not to mention the heat and excitement of being with 100 kids all playing his favorite sport.

My questions are for those parents who have sent their kids off to sports camp. I would love to talk to you (I think you have access to my email?) and what should we do? Take the pump off all day? How much testing did you do? PLEASE describe a good routine we should follow? This is all new to us with a camp like this. Just what did you do to avoid lows and sharp drops?

Thanks so much!
    Shelly (son is 12--dx @ 2, pumping 8 years--Cosmo)

2. Claire64

Claire64 Approved members

My son Landon was in a 3 day soccer camp a few weeks ago. It was from 9-3 with 4.5 hours of soccer.

Landon did take the pump off for most of the day. He stayed disconnected during the snack breaks and had small, uncovered snacks. For lunch, he connected and under-bolused a little.

I had him check a lot. Before he started, before and after each snack and before and after lunch. Also once when he felt himself going low he checked and treated with Gatorade.

Before Landon started camp, I called and got a schedule of breaks and snacks, so we could decide what to do.

I know it's very different for every kid, but Landon goes really low with exercise, so he never has to wear the pump while playing. He goes low while he's playing and even lower afterwards. He sips Gatorade while he plays and usually has a snack afterwards, so the camp's schedule worked for him.

3. B's Mom

B's Mom Approved members

Thanks for that--extremely helpful for us! What about night--was it a sleepover camp--and if not how was his blood at night? My husband is there at the camp and staying in a room near the kids--so he will be checking him--how often should he plan to check? I am worried neither one will get a lot of sleep--so I would like to get lots of replies to assure him it will work out. I think the Gatorade sipping will really be helpful.

Thanks for all this info--it's so nice to know there is this wealth of experience on here.

4. skimom

skimom Approved members

I would do a few checks - Eg if he goes to bed at 10, check then , then maybe at about 2 am then at wakeup (6am ish). I would consider running a temporary basal of 60-80% over night if yoiu are worried - it can always be cancelled if numbers creep up. I think because you really don't know what to expect, be conservative and back off a fair bit on the insulin, test lots and be sure he stays really well hydrated as that by itself can cause havoc...
    Be sure that he eats enough (post activity snack should be 1-2 g carb per kg body weight - with balance of protein and fat - even a glass of chocolate milk is a great post activity snack,) eat meals within 1.5 hours of finishing activity so that muscles can be "restocked". If you are having problems, look at what he ate THE DAY BEFORE- if he goes high, it could be that he didn't eat enough and now he is releasing glycogen to cover. This can become a vicious circle as the muscles become depleted. This eating plan works great with my daughter who is a competitive figure skater skating 5 h/day.
    It is great that dad is there

5. Claire64

Claire64 Approved members

Landon's camp was not sleepover, they only do that for the older kids. He was home every day by about 4, so he was pretty much back to normal by bedtime.

If they're still playing basketball after supper, I would definitely decrease basal over night. If they're done by 5 or 6, I would probably leave it.

I think I would check at bedtime, once at night and when he wakes up. Will your husband be able to go check him at night or will he have to do it himself?

6. B's Mom

B's Mom Approved members

Hi everyone--thanks SO much! I will definately drop basals in anticipation. Even when he gets excited about something he drops--so the whole week is going to be a thrill for him.

Dad will be checking him at night. He is so scared--he does it at home of course, but never been away so far--and for so long and with the exercise factored in there. I think after a couple days they will be fine.

Keep the experiences coming--I want to show my husband!