advertisement

Help! One of my boys received too much Lantus!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TripletsMum, May 14, 2018.

1. TripletsMum

TripletsMum New Member

let me start by saying I have triplet boys, 2 of whom have T1. I was supposed to fly out to be with my mom and dying dad this morning. My DH was in charge of the boys, including their insulin shots while I readied myself for flying out. They were going to drive me to the airport to say goodbye on this Mother’s Day. When I came downstairs my DH looked stricken and told me he had given DS1’s lantus (13 IU) to DS2 whom should’ve got 5 UI. I immediately started to cancel my flight (thank goodness for flight insurance) while he called the endo on call.
    When the endo called back she was frankly wishy-washy about the whole thing and just told us to monitor BG every 2 hours. I asked if we should not give DS2 his lunch and dinner Novalog bolus and she said we should give him those shots. I also asked if we should hold his lantus tomorrow morning and she said no. We hung up and I called my mom to explain why I wouldn’t be flying in this afternoon. 20 mins later the endo called back and said to not give him the Novalog bolus shots at lunch and dinner. I again asked about the next mornings lantus and she again said to give it.
    Luckily our 8 year olds eat more than my DH and I combined so pushing protein and fat (endo’s directions) was not a problem. His BG has stayed above 112 (his lowest so far). But I started to get nervous about the night and the endo’s instruction for the lantus in the morning so I called poison control. The pharmacist, Steph, who I talked to said not to give him the lantus in the morning and to call his endo before giving him any Novalog before breakfast. She also said to take him to the ER if his BG hits 80 or below. He weighs 29kg/65lbs. He ate a big dinner and then ate a banana and 2 Biscoff biscuits (18g) at 8:30pm when I checked his numbers, he was at 351. At 7:08pm he was at 341 so he had gone up a little.
    My question for you is has this happened to anybody and what did you do through the night to keep BG numbers up? I’m scared and my DH is exhausted with nerves from the day, plus from beating himself up over the only accident we’ve ever had since first dx 3 years ago.
    Thanks for your help.

2. TripletsMum

TripletsMum New Member

Me again. It is 1:12am and so far DS2’s BG is staying above 400 which on any other night would be a big concern for me. He is urinating every 90 minutes after I check his numbers. Praying his numbers do not drastically drop between now and the time we get the triplets up for school. The snores of my DH have never sounded so good; I know he is getting some much needed sleep.

3. TripletsMum

TripletsMum New Member

Update #2. It is 6:33 am and so far we’ve made it through the night without dipping below 285, which as I’ve said before I would normally be very concerned about but tonight it was a blessing. I’m going to call the endo at 7:00 when my husband wakes up to find out what we should do or not do regarding DS2’s breakfast Novalog bolus. I’m exhausted but still too jumpy to relax, that will have to wait until the endo says we are in the clear.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi, sorry you had to deal with that. To answer your first question, yes, this has happened to me and I bet many other parents on here that have been doing this for a while. We are only human and mistakes happen. I really hope your husband stops beating himself up over this. I know it is hard not to but maybe hearing that other people have done it will help him.

Since this happened on Monday and it is now Friday I am assuming you have weathered the storm and are back to "normal". :)

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Reading this way late, but yes, we too have overdosed our kid. I can remember like yesterday. My hubby dosed the Lantus dose for the Novolog. We way overcompensated sugar wise, gave her a can of dr pepper & said have at it...which for a 3 year old was like, woo hoo!!
    Needless to say, when we spoke to the endo, all was already fine...novolog was out of the system in a few hours. At our visit a week or so later, endo was like, hey, dr pepper is my favorite! that was perfect fix:)