advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help. not d related,but d related.

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by Izzi, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Since this is an off topic board, I hope I can get some help. Okay here I go:
    Friday my best friend of 13 years, told me she needed to talk to me. She then told me her mom found a lump in her breast that morning and was going for a bioposy Monday. Scared, she said she was hopefull it was benign (sp?) ,and that her maternal grandmother has had benign tumors. The biopsy went fine and yesterday she said her mom got a call that the appointment for Friday was moved to this morning at 8:15. I told her I'm praying for the best and I hope it'll go fine. Having a 2 hour delay this morning, she got to hear the news before driving to school. When we got to school another friend (who didmt know about the tumor) went to meet her at her locker. She wasn't there so we walked around. I looked in the classroom we were in and she was in there. I said goodbye and o walked in. She look as if she had not been crying so I smiled and thays wjen she shook her head. Her mother was dx'd with Breast Cancer. I cried. Her mom is a second mpm to me. We both left the classroom bc she was hystericle and I was too. Needless tp say, my blood sugar skyrocketed...299
    In the on coming days, 1) what should I do to help my friend? And 2) how do I keep my nlood sugar down when I get more news like today?

2. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Hi Izzi,
    On keeping your blood sugar from going up when you get bad news, I can't help you there.

But helping your friend cope with her moms diagnosis, I can offer a bit of advice.

My aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer in June of 2011.
    She was given 2 years at the most, at a hospital in Muskogee, OK (a town about an hour & a half away from us)

She went to Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa, and they have been amazing. They gave her hope.
    She is currently taking chemotherapy again, but she is fighting.

From my experience with my aunt, here are my tips:

1. understanding the type of cancer.
    Its not just "breast cancer" their are different stages & types if breast cancer.
    (Is their a Cancer Treatment Centers of America close to you? They have went above & beyond for my aunt, and they have some if the best treatment options available)

2. "Chemo helpers"- thats what my mom & I call it when we go out to my aunts house after her chemo treatments & stay out there for about a week, when she has her "bad days" during those bad days, which start about 3 days after chemo, she is very tired, not really wanting to eat, nauseated, and hurting all over.
    What we do is cooking, keeping the laundry done, and other little things.
    If your friends mom is put on chemo, cook some food for them, its a simple gesture that shows you care.

If you have any questions, or just want to talk, feel free to message me anytime. I try to log in once a day.