advertisement

Help - New Pumper - Multiple Questions

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Curado Kev, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Curado Kev

Curado Kev New Member

Thanks everyone in advance for help and I tried searching some of the topics but need some feedback. My daughter is 10 and has had T1 for 4.5 years as a MDI. We just started on a Medtronic 530G w Enlite, at this point just running saline for 2-3 weeks. Then insulin and then CGM. So after being a "pro" on the MDI for four years, this is quite a switch for all but my daughter has been begging for pump for last 6 months and we were not going to switch until she wanted it. So here we go with questions...

1) Right now cause we don't know any different, using the Mio Infusion set straight - She has had only 2 site changes and third is tonight, she is a tough kid but it "stings" for 1-3 hours on a belly insertion and then is fine. Is that normal ? or is their a way to relieve the pain ? I have read about a ton of different infusion sites but if I want to stay with Medtronic brands - anybody know of other choices that work better for their kids in the 10-13 year old range?

2) I've read alot about tapes to keep the site on ? Right now, we have Tagaderm sheets and cut around that. We do this because the first site fell out in 2 days and freaked her out. So our second insertion with Tagaderm stayed. I've read alot about allergies to Tagaderm and the Opsite Flexifit seems to be the ticket ? Your opinion ? Other options ?

3) My daughter is a "jock" - 3 years of travel soccer etc. There is little fat on her body and with the pain of insertion with a little belly fat, we are going to have a hard sell to have her try the top of her bottom. My question, is it plausible to have her always run a M or W shape on her belly and "get away with it" for the next few years ? Have you run your kids with a pump and kept all the insertions in the belly for a 3-5 year period ?

4) We plan on taking the pump off during soccer games and probably 2 hour practices, I will read more on this in the forums. Not worried about one hour game but I am worried about a 2 hour practice. We are always with her at practice and can check her half way through, do you take your kids off the pump for 2 hour time frames ?

I appreciate your help, diabetes is fun enough but we went from managing on MDI pretty well to newbie status with this pump :))

Thanks !

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Please see above :)

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not having used medtronic I don't really have any input there, sorry.

For sites, would she consider her thighs/legs? My son uses them almost exclusively and is also an athlete (now mostly just working out, used to play football and track).

For taping my son never needs anything, but if/when he has, hypafix does the trick best. I buy from amazon.

My son used to keep his pump on for practices (football) but he'd remove for games. You'll find what works through trial and error. We did a season of adding a small amount of lantus to the mix, so that's an option too. If you remove you may have to replace the basal or you may find that activity keeps things level. For games adrenalin tended to make him go high but he'd drift down after without a correction, so there are many factors. I'd just play around with it and see what works for you. I second the use of a spibelt for sports.

Good luck, 2-3 weeks on saline seems like a long time, can you not just go live now?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good luck. Hope that helps.

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I answered above. Good Luck!

6. Curado Kev

Curado Kev New Member

Wow - Thanks so much ! The Diabetes instructor never mentioned saline stinging but now I think about it - DOH ! I appreciate all your time and thanks again.

Have a great weekend !