- advertisement -

Help needed 12 year old boy- Puberty?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by M&MMOM, Nov 9, 2011.

1. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

Hey all-

My 12 year old Max has had diabetes for 10+ years and I've never had too much trouble adjusting with changes in age but I am STUMPED right now and would love help from those of you who have been through puberty with a boy.

It seems almost overnight 2 weeks ago we went from being in range to every number being high, all day, everyday. We started with site changes, and I expected an illness was coming on. No such luck. He goes to bed at 100, wakes up at 300. Legs are aching, I can't feed him enough and we're constantly battling because he wants to eat, and I don't want him to while he's high.

I am gradually increasing basal rates but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Here's the scoop right now:
    Basals- 12am .45, 3am .60, 7am .95, 11am .525, 2pm .650
    Carb doses are 12am-10grams, 9pm 15 grams
    Sensitivity 100

Any great tips for a mom and teenage son to survive this?

Thanks in advance....

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Sounds like exactly what we went through when my daughter was growing. Eating like crazy, dawn phenomenon, achy joints, etc. When she's not growing, puberty doesn't seem to have as much of an effect as I thought it would. I was making small adjustments constantly, and it took a really long time to catch up. I had to be way more aggressive with the basals - the ratios changed some, but not a lot. And don't forget to reevaluate the correction factor as well.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well mine is 13, and a girl and D for 9 years but I can tell you that those basal rates couldn't begin to keep her in range no matter what.

Around age 11 we saw her basal needs just 50%-100% :eek: Is your endo any help?

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would say you need to be more aggressive in your basal changes. My son is on twice as much basal as yours.

If he is going high at night, start there and increase the basal two hours before he is going up. I don't wait two days between raising the basal -- especially if for a small time period.

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

What the others said! Basal is the only way to attack these growth spurts/hormones. My son is 11 and has basal rates are very similar to your son's. However whenever he is going through a growth spurt his rates can go up to 2.00 units per hour at night - we will go from 7-8u of basal a day to 20+. I have to be extremely aggressive or he will get stuck high for days on end. The only thing that works is to up the basals - corrections and changing the carb ratios don't help. Once we up the basals he will be good for a few days and then start going low at which point I dial everything back down again and it usually ends up back near where it was. I have a pattern set on the pump for this and now just switch to it as soon as I notice the signs.

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That too. My daughter is 12.5, and her lowest rate is 0.95/hr (overnight).

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My younger son is 12 and going through the same thing. His basals and carb ratios are lower though. But, my sons have always been lower than kids their own age. ALthough they have had it 11 years.

His highest basal is .45 at night.

His ratio is 1 per 15 breakfast and 1 per 23 rest of day.

He will run some 300 , 400s nothing under 200 like yesterday and the day before for no reason then today his numbers have been 89, 60, 87, 111, 113, 107, 90, 165, 114.
    No changes but .3 more given at breakfast bolus.

He goes up for a few days then running much lower few days. This happens over and over for us.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Same here, same age, and a girl.

9. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

14 year old boy....basals have increased dramatically over the past couple of years and highest overnight is now 1.1 (up from .55). Also, I was very shy to increase correction dose and doing so made a huge difference. He was 1:100 and is now 1:70.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

What happens to blood sugars between bedtime and waking - do you have overnight numbers?

11. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

Thanks for everyone's ideas. He was going to sleep fine (11:30pm-130's). I stayed up two nights ago to find out when the trouble was starting and by 1:30am he was 250. I corrected, went back to sleep and at 5am he was 330.

Thanks for all your advice to attack the basals first! I called the endo's office yesterday to see exactly how much I should raise the basals.

We determined a 10% increase on all overnight basal rates and to start that increase 2 hours before they were before.

Worked like a charm. He was 125 at 11pm, 99 at 3am, and again at 7am this morning!

12. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Be prepared to do it again in two weeks. It seemed like for 4 months or so we were doing dramatic increases in basal every 2 weeks when Connor went through puberty.

13. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

More basal. My 14 year old son has a low basal of 1.75u/hr and a high one of 1.85u/hr.

14. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Have a girl, but same thought applies. More basal, more basal, more basal. At one point Jayden was at almost 2 units an hour! Now I think her lowest is 0.8, and her highest is 1.5. She's 13. 12 was the worst so far!

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Sounds like what we've been going through with DS lately. His basals have doubled since January, and he's grown 10cm in that time. Definitely sounds like you need to increase the basals, and I used temp basals a lot the last few months too.