- advertisement -

help me understand type 2

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by SarahKelly, Nov 29, 2011.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

cross post in another forum :)
    I have been friends with a woman who cares for her son for a while, before I even had Isaac. When we met she told me she had just been dx as having type 2 diabetes, I was surprised because she is a thin active woman, however I just chalked this up to my over assumptions about t2. Since Isaac's dx and further conversations with other people with t1 and t2 I am wondering what I am missing about why doctors discourage t2's to go on insulin, creating a stigma that makes insulin seem to make d "bad". As if it's "good" if you can treat it with oral meds, but not insulin.
    Why I am asking is her current A1C is high, yet her docs only want her to increase her metformin or try a few other oral meds. I keep asking her why they are so against insulin, she doesn't know.
    Can anybody explain this to me? Are oral meds less trouble (causing less ups and downs) than insulin may? If a person has been battling chronic highs despite oral meds, healthy diet and consistent exercise shouldn't they give insulin a chance?
    It is hard for me to understand as I know what would happen to my husband and my son without insulin, to me insulin is a life saver not a negative thing.
    Any insight would be appreciated including ideas to help my friend with her upcoming doc appt.