- advertisement -

Help me understand the "honeymoon" period????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommaof7, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

Could someone explain this to me. I keep hearing about it, but have been told my son isn't going through it, I just don't really understand what it is.

Thanks!

2. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

The autoimmune process (generally) takes years to completely destroy all the insulin-producing cells. These cells are constantly trying to heal, and the immune system is killing them off.

So right at DX, all the insulin-producing cells have been working overtime to try to make enough insulin to keep BG where it should be. By DX, the majority of insulin-producing cells have already been destroyed.

But once injected insulin is given, these remaining cells can rest - and start producing insulin again.

This is the 'honeymoon' - where the real total daily needs of insulin aren't being met by injection, but some by natural insulin production. It WILL eventually end.

Clear as mud?

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

From the CWD dictionary...

Honeymoon Period The period of time shortly after the diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes during which there is some restoration of insulin production and the blood sugar levels improve to normal, or near-normal, levels. Unfortunately, like other honeymoons, this diabetes honeymoon doesn't last forever; it may last for weeks, months, or occasionally, years.
    You cannot predict how long a honeymoon lasts. Ours lasted nearly 1.5 years. I think the fact that we went on a pump while honeymooning may actually have extended it.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

also to note honeymoon=== unpredictability!! You never know when they will throw out some of their own insulin.
    Going strong in our honeymoon, its been almost 18 months now!

5. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

so basically then, he may seem as though he's not "needing" insulin. reason I ask, we are experiencing a lot of unexplained lows lately and I wondered if this is why.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

exactly!! He really isn't needing any supplemental insulin as he is making his own, for that moment.
    There are times when my ds needs so little insulin, its almost like he doesn't have D, then he will throw a 450 out there.

I would say be especially careful after heavy exercise. For example my ds went to a party at a bounce house. I disconnected pump and gave a snack before the party. I bolused for half of the cake and ice cream, we came home and he decided to ride bikes out front, didn't bolus for dinner. Bedtime comes and I give him a ton of ice cream, no bolus either. He ended up suspended most of the night and maintained the low 100's. I know part of this was exercise, but I think honeymoon too.
    He can be fine 2 hours after sleep and then I catch him in the 50's at 2 am, other times, like last night, over 300 at 4 am.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL!!! Exactly!!! That needs to be my new phrase when trying to explain anything D related!!! Thanks for the chuckle!!! :D