- advertisement -

help me think out of the box

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by frizzyrazzy, May 21, 2010.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm looking for some different activities for Ian - he's not a competitive sports kit AT ALL but I would like him to be active in some way. He does gymnastics once a week but I'm trying to find something else he might enjoy - that gets him out of the house and interacting with people (He's got hermit tendencies lol).

What do your kids do?

(oh, i'd love to find a lego league here, but no go...can't find one locally - they're all tied to schools, and ours does not have one, nor do they ahve any after school activities of that type)

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do you have a local college? They sometimes have summer camps. My boys did robotics one year :)

Swimming lessons

Chess clubs

Karate

3. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Emma loves swimming once a week and photography. I'd like to see her out of the house and doing something productive more as well. If I have to watch one more Hannah Montana repeat, I am sure that I'll go insane!!!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The girls go to a cooking class once a week through the rec dept.
    We've also done theatre camp and nature camp.

5. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I was going to say the theatre route as well. We have something here called Drama Kids.
    Or how about Mad Science program. They are franchised all over the country.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Michelle, Im not sure how far you are from the lego stores up there. We visited both of them on our way to Maine and they have some activities for after school and weekends (wish we were closer, my boys would love that!) Around here the Audobon society offers afterschool activities at some of the nature sanctuarys, the kids go on scavanger hunts and learn about nature. Does your town have a rec dept? They may have some activities going on this summer for vacation.

7. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Swim lessons are a great idea. I've also read that karate is a good way for kids to be physically active and learn discipline. Is he "dramatic" at all? A theater program may be a good idea, too. Even if he is not an actor, perhaps working behind the scenes on sets, etc. may be of interest to him.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Loved "Last Child in the Woods" -- well, the chapter I read.
    I'm big on just playing in the back yard.
    Parks and Rec classes are great for sampling if you want more organized, they are limited to a few weeks so you can get a feel for it.

Even something like volunteering at a nursing home?

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Let's see. Jack does soccer, golf, t-ball, basketball and swimming. (Not all at the same time, LOL.) This summer, there are a bunch of camps with the local community college (the one I'm filing an OCR complaint against) that we'll do with him. He craves activity and social settings, and I am just hoping to wear him out completely.

10. frizzyrazzy

I'm also big on playing in the backyard, however, our backyard and neighborhood consists of no kids. none. zip. zero. none. I am not kidding. There are some older kids on the next street, (who at the ripe old age of 13 walk through the neighborhood smoking)..
    and while I do just send him outside, it's rather boring out there. and I'm a huge advocate of not overscheduling, but due to circumstances, I do want him to have some activities

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Michelle, is this to make Ian come out of his "shell" or just to make him more active? Or both?

I think theatre is a great idea.

Aren't there summer day camps in the area?

12. frizzyrazzy

paula - not so much out of his shell, he's fine when he's "out"..I just need to take a forklift and crane and pry him out of the house. He's not into drama or make believe play, he'd never get on a stage and act..never. lol.

I was thinking more on the lines of out of the ordinary sports. Something active, but not the typical team sport, (soccer, baseball etc).

he is going to D day camp for a week. :) He wanted to go to overnight but that's a long story and separation wise, I do not think it would be a good thing for him right now.

13. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Michelle,
    If I read this right you said he was into gymnastics? Maybe try a gymnastics camp? I know they have those everywhere. I used to coach them every summer. Most of them are non competitive just fun play.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Does the Y have anything for kids?

15. frizzyrazzy

Brynn, the problem with outside camps is that I would need to be there with him..they're not qualified, nor do I feel they should be, in handling diabetes all day long.

Paula, I could check our Y. Good suggestion.

16. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Karate is good because while he is in a group, it is kind of a "by yourself" thing too. You can work upwards at your own pace. Swim club is wonderful also. My older son is more of a hermit but he liked swim club becuase he could be around his friends but not have to always compete and be in a group the whole time. Does he like golf? We have kayak lessons through the recreation center that my older son is going to do this year.

17. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I would agree about Karate. My oldest is quite introverted, and I think Karate made him come out of his shell. It is an individual sport but you do it surrounded by others. And, there are "rewards" when you get to the next belt level, etc. A lot of Karate Studios let you try a class for free to see if you like it.

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm thinking, then, this is about habit? Needed to get into a routine with something because the default is to just hang out inside? We have the same issues.

Organized classes are good for that, because since I'm paying I make them stick to the schedule. :eek: But I think setting up a time once a week for an outing or even just setting the oven clock every day and it's time to go outside are workable, too.

But. . . . .
    ever do fencing? Boy, it's cool . . . . .

19. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

Hello! This is my first post, but your post made me think of my son. He is not much of a sportsman, but he has just got interested in disc-golf. It is like golf even played on a golf-like course (18 holes etc.) but oplayed with heavy frisbee like discs. My son loved it, basically just throwing and walking. You could play solo (for practice) or with a group. I think it is a relatively new thing but there are courses popping up around here but they are free. Good Luck!

20. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Is he interested in art? How about art clubs? I know they usually have a few around here in the summer.