advertisement

Help! Heavy Sleeper Going To College in the Fall

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Diabetesmother, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Diabetesmother

Diabetesmother New Member

My son can and does sleep through ANY alarm - his pump, his CGM, his alarm clock, his phone alarm, me yelling - and while I am trying to get him to take more responsibility for night time checks in preparation for college, nothing is working! I am terrified about what will happen at college in regard to night time BGLs.

I would love to hear other peoples experience with this!

I have ordered a rug alarm that you have to stand on to turn off and a bed vibrating alarm to see if these will actually wake him up.

I am also wondering if any of you have gotten your kids to get roommates with Type 1 and whether this has helped or not.

ANY ideas would be appreciated!

Diabetesmother

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Earthquake Alert and Seismometer Alarm or another of several similar apps. Set Dexcom to vibrate overnight and a low or high alarm will set off the seismometer alarm which is practically deafeningly loud. If, by the unlikely chance your son can actually sleep through this alarm, his roommate(s) likely cannot.

There are several apps like this; I would "test-drive" a few before you send him off to college.