- advertisement -

Help - Goofed - OmniPod Users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 11, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Changed the Pod tonight with much drama. Terrible drama which made me a little nervous. Primed the Pod while attached to the skin. Has anyone ever done that? Will this cause a problem?

2. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I have never done that so I really don't know, but I would not think it would be a problem if you did not have an alarm and you were able to insert and start the pod ok. Maybe just test frequently and be sure it is working ok.. maybe Daryl or Scott or some of the other long time users will have some thoughts.

3. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I am not sure if it will cause the Pod not to function properly or not. I do know you are not supposed to remove the needle/cannula cap until it is done priming.

How long ago you put the Pod on? Have you checked a BG since that time?

4. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Thanks Erica! I hope Daryl or Scott look at this post.

5. bbirdnuts@aol.com

The Pod went on about 35 minutes ago.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

Is it like the Animas pump (or MM, or Cozmo) where you are supposed to prime before you put the set in - the danger being that the extra priming insulin would be like giving an uncalled for bolus?

7. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We have done that beofre(we were rushing things) and have never had a problem from it.
    The cannula will not insert into the skin until after priming so no problems with extra insulin.
    The big problem with it is if you have a problem during the priming stage you can just start another one but if it is already attached then you will have an extra removal stage.
    You should be fine though,
    Allene

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Normally the cap is in place when the pod primes, and it keeps insulin from leaking out during the priming (the cap is actually a "plug"). So I expect that you saw some insulin leaking out during priming. Not sure if that would cause a problem, though.

The only problem I could foresee is if the plug is necessary to insure that all air is purged from the chamber during priming... I would call Insulet and ask them about that.

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Did you take the cap off? Do you have a rep you are working with? If so I would call him or her. We had LOTS of drama that first month with pump changes, it will get better I promise.

10. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Thanks for the advice. I called the nurse that came to the house on Friday from Insulet. She said the plastic cap has to be on while priming and that there are sensors inside the Pod. She also said that she would be concerned that Carolina may get air or she may get insulin and if it was her child she would change the Pod. Carolina has now decided she does not feel the Pod change with ice.

11. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

If you primed with it on, you might have received about .35u of extra insulin. I would keep it on, bolus a good sized meal through ASAP. Do change it at the first unexplained high.

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I actually just did that on Saturday, but caught myself and just took it off before priming and got another one out. I didn't want to chance it. I got distracted and couldn't believe that I did that, ughh. This thing is SO darned easy to use!

13. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

We've never done this. And I'd be worried about the priming process. So I probably would have pulled it.

Remember you can always call Insulet directly for help. They have always been very helpful.