- advertisement -

help...forgot lantus last night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by irishmom, May 15, 2011.

1. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

please help....i always stay up and always check Patricks meds ...last night i was exhausted..been out with them for 9 hours in the rain and cold track meet,,going through a divorce and what not..i texted pat and told him i put all his meds on the table ..where they usually are..and he was going to be home in a hour..woke up this morn to test him went to get kit and his syringe of lantus and all his pills were there...HE NEVER TOOK THEM..bs this monrning was 95..please help..and i hope im not the only one that ever did this...
    thanks
    marcia
    ps i will never go to bed early again...

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Yes, others have done this -- myself included. It is an oops situation and not life threatening and not worth panicing over.

With a Blood sugar of 95, I wonder if he didn't fill a syringe himself and do the Lantus. When I forgot my son's Lantus, he was going up by the morning.

Could you wait before taking action until he got up to be sure he didn't already take the Lantus? 14 year olds do odd things.

What I did when the Lantus was forgotten was to do extra fast acting insulin to replace the basal until the next shot.

I would give fast acting every 4 hours. To determine the amount, divide the total Lantus by 6 and give that amount in fast acting.

Others do different things, like all or half the Lantus now, but fast acting worked for me.

You might consider moving Lantus to a time when everyone is awake.

3. irishmom

thank you....we had hard time keeping his numbers up....which we usually give extra carbs as he as in a state qualifying track meet...and usually give lantus at 10pm....which i cannot recall ever going to be before that....(except last night...)so i will keep checking him...thank you for responding....

marcia

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

First - it happens. Don't stress. It's happened to us too - more than once and I expect it will probably happen again. :cwds:

Second, it looks like it may have been one of those times when things worked out the way it was supposed to if your son was going low overnight because of all the activity during the day.

As the previous poster suggested, I would use fast acting through the day to keep him in range until it's time to give the next Lantus shot.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would just give corrections when/if needed today, and Lantus at the usual time tonight.. :cwds:

6. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I've done it! And I panicked, posted here, and called the endo. It all worked out ok. But I was thinking too that 95 sounded like a good number. When I forgot Lantus my son was way higher!
    This is what my endo advised me to to do. He made a joke that at the time made me cry. He said jokingly "what? no parent has ever done that?". But I realized that was his way of saying EVERY parent of a CWD has done it, at least once. He'll be fine. :cwds:

7. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

You're not alone... we did it for the first time a few weeks ago. Did lots of extra checking along w/ a half dose at breakfast. It all worked out. But I know how you feel. Between ds, dh and myself, I can't believe we all forgot (we were on vacation, though, so maybe a bit out of routine). :)

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have done this and worse. All will be back to normal in a day or two. :cwds:

9. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

There is nothing like the panic of feeling like you have screwed up your kid's insulin. I once reversed her long acting and short acting, we were 2 weeks in and OMG! I called the endo in a panic and they laughed at me and told me to feed her. Happiest she'd been since diagnosis, eating huge bowls of ice cream. I was a shaking mess.

10. irishmom

thanks everyone.....actually he never went over 200 till late this afternoon...so maybe it was for the best.....been a hard training week in two sports..and a lot of stress.....in another hour and half we will be back on schedule...
    thanks again.....
    Marcia

11. textornado

textornado Approved members

been there

I was in a similar place as well. I was divorced and coping with a newly diagnosed 6 year old. One night I woke up worried that I hadn't given my son his lantus. I went up stairs and gave him his dose and went down stairs and it dawned on me that I had already given the dose earlier that night. I freaked!!!! Long story short we both lived through the incident and haven't done that since. My heart is with you and just remember to breath.

Smiles, Jessie

12. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

8 kids! No wonder you went to bed early. I forgot the lantus for the first time a few weeks ago. We were told to just keep an eye on her BG during the day and if it is fairly normal to just start the lantus again that nigth at the normal time. If her BG was really high we were to start it at that BG check and then give it to her the next day at the next timed BG check after the one we gave her the Lantus the day before (does that make any sense) and then to keep giving it to her a little later each day until we were back on our normal schedule. Cooncidentally, our CDE asked me at our last meeting, "So, have you forgottten to give her Lantus yet? Everybody does at some point." So I guess we all do it atleast once.