- advertisement -

Help for newbies - surprising products WITH gluten

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by jcanolson, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I loved Angie's idea for listing regular store products that we have found to be gf. What about products that you could not believe had gluten in them?

I have to say I hate barley malt. It seems to be everywhere.

Rice Krispies - We had a really hard time convincing the Nutritionist - I use that term loosely- at the hospital that Rice Krispies were NOT gf.

Log Cabin Sugar free pancake syrup - Why? It isn't in the regular syrup.

Of course, ingredients do change, so always double check the label.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Because starch is used a thickener, and often contains gluten or is derived from products that do... regular syrup has sugar to make it thick.

3. jcanolson

I thought barley malt was used more for flavoring.

4. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Nacho Cheese Doritos and some sour creams. I was amazed that gluten would be used in some sour creams!

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

thanks for telling us about the syrup. We have run out of Log Cabin sugar free and haven't been able to find it, so we've moved on to Smuckers. I'll check it now and if so, just go back to regular syrup. Emma uses so little anyway that we should be ok.

Thankfully, we had basically cut out cereals because they spike her so bad. I just bought a "Honey Nut Cheerios" style cereal that we're gonna try that's gluten free. I would have never expected it in Rice Krispies

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Grilled Chicken at McDonalds! I know Kim got hit with that one recently. Who'd of thunk ;)

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Tortilla Chips from Aldi......

My mom and sister went to a restaurant called Abuelo's and the fresh salsa had gluten in it.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Licorice... that one makes me sad 'cause I love black licorice (I'm weird that way.)

9. aklap

aklap Approved members

Twizzlers got me when I was doing dietary trials. I wondered why I was feeling crappy - then one day I double checked the bag. Guess what's the 2nd ingredient in the list? ;)

10. Caldercup

Al, have you tried any of the GF licorices? I'd love a review before I fork over the money. :D

Another one that bums be out is soy sauce -- I mean, I knew it used wheat in the manufacturing process, I just didn't realize HOW MANY other sauces have soy sauce in them. And the GF soy sauces can get expensive.

11. jcanolson

We use La Choy. Cecelia's Marketplace classifies it as gf. Wal-Mart's used to be gf, but I think they changed recently. If you are near an Ingles grocery store, their store brand is listed in Cecelia's as being gf.

12. aklap

aklap Approved members

I tried the Running Rabbit Red Licorice. I wasn't Twizzlers ;). To be fair, it was shortly after I went GF (almost 7 years ago). And, Twizzlers probably ain't real licorice ;).

I probably should try it now, now that I've been GF to give a fair shake. After you go GF, your tastes change (IMHO).

13. Caldercup

La Choy has a harsher flavor to me -- I like the San-J tamari. I think soy sauce is a bit like wine and you have to try a few GF ones to find the one that fits your palate.

14. jcanolson

We've just found San-J recently, and I really like their sauces. Taste is everything!:D

15. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Stemming from another thread -- some instant mashed potatoes and broths are not gluten free. In fact lots are not!

I've also found sometimes sour cream at restaurants are not gluten free -- they put flour in it to thicken it and stretch it further.

I've see powdered sugar that had flour added in it - most have cornstarch but this particular brand had flour.

Taco seasoning mixes often have flour.

I'm sure I'll think of more crazy things....

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Question for AL -

My daughter was dx about 9 months ago. She's seven
    Three months later she was dx with Hashi's

She has alot of typical celiac symptoms, lately, according to the Navigator, she isn't spiking, which is not like her.

I read other parents say that their kids would go low at two hours because of Celiac.

Her first endo only did the EMA antibody test. That came out Negative.

The new endo wants to run the celiac panel, and not the EMA test.

I know that the celiac panel can be a false positive if you have Hashi's.

My question is, do you know which test is the most highly regarded on which a child may have celiac?

If this new endo doesn't do the EMA antibody test, it could very well have changed in the past five months, correct?

Thanks for any info

17. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

Omg

Good grief... this is great... but the list of items w/o Gluten would be much shorter apparently:)))) Syrup???? Is there anything left to eat??

18. jcanolson

The syrup that I mentioned is one particular brand. Cracker Barrel has a sugar-free syrup that they sell in their store that is labelled gf. I just bought Maple Grove Farm sf syrup today that is labelled gf. Those are just 2 I'm familiar with off the top of my head.

It's frustrating especially when you are just starting on the gf diet. Eventually you'll find your child's favorites, and shopping gets easier. Of course you always have to keep your eye on the ingredient label.

If you have not signed up for Cecelia's Marketplace's gf product of the day, I highly recommend it. They also send out alerts when a previously gf product is not longer gf.