- advertisement -

Help - Are green veggies free in any amount?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GinaB, Aug 9, 2012.

1. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

My son eats an extreme amount of food. He is 13 and almost 6' tall. We have been having trouble with his bg so the nurse wants us to go 3-4 hours between meals to get a baseline for him. He is going to be crazy hungry and I have a question about free foods.

I've always thought that most veggies are free but if I look up green beans, bell peppers, etc they all have 4-5 carbs for a small serving. Since his ratio is 1:5 in the morning and 1:8 the rest of the day it looks like he will barely be able to eat anything except meat and cheese.

Can we disregard the carbs in low GI veggies or only have one small serving of veggie? Also, for free foods, can he have the 5g worth every hour, every two, etc?

We are starting this in the morning and I know I won't be able to get a return call from the nurse until the afternoon so I'm counting on the experts her to help me out. This forum is an incredible resource!

2. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Oh, growing teenage boys!!!

My DS could eat all the food in the house some days! I don't know if this is an option, but the pump helped sooo much with this issue. He didn't have to wait between meals and snacks.

The only things we've ever counted as free were meats, cheeses, and eggs. (In recipes, I will count the eggs and cheese though, half a carb is half a carb.) And I guess cucumber sometimes. That's really low (2 carbs per 100 grams). But then you have to watch cholesterol with all the meat and cheese.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is just for one day, to get a basal test? Not something they are recommending or anything long term?

If that's true, then I'd look at filling up the day with activity, go play laser tag, goofy golf, a movie (though the popcorn may be hard to resist!), a museum of some sort, whatever you can come up with...anything to get out of the house where you'd have to buy food! Find special things to do that day to occupy the brain and stick to meals only.

Some veggies do have carbs, the starchier ones particularly, like green beans and the sweeter ones like carrots. Other free foods include sugar free jello, olives, pork skins, pickles, and of course meats and cheeses though even some meats can spike some kids so watch the fattier stuff like sausage. I buy turkey pepperoni and bake it till crisp, that's a fun snack. Take a big piece of ham, spread a thin layer of cream cheese on it then a pickle sliver and roll up, filling and free. Make BIG salads and top with cooked chicken.

Thing is that even free foods in large quantities can cause some spikes, so I really think the trick here is to find some activity that isn't normally associated with food and spend the day distracting him!

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I was under the impression that GinaB meant every day. When we were using pens, our endo requested that we go 3-4 hours between eating and shots, all the time, every day. Sometimes not following that was okay, but for the most part, the endo wanted us to stick to eating far apart.

If I was wrong, and it is just one day, we recently did that, too. I just kept my DS very distracted. Played on the computer, cleaned up around the house, etc. Stayed near him so he wouldn't be tempted to sneak a small bite of something. I didn't eat, either, so we were both hungry together.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Personally, I've always needed insulin for all "free" vegies!

6. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Thanks for the input. He is eating a big salad with chicken right now. It is almost 5 carbs so how long before hed can eat anything else that has carbs?

This is only for 3 days to give the endo a good baseline. We are distracting him with computer and games that he doesn't normally get to play. One of the difficult things for the three days is that we have to limit exercise, it drops him too quickly!

He used to pump but doesn't like being attached to anything now. Even though he has to do around 7 shots a day he still doesn't want the pump.

I love the response about cleaning the house. This would only happen in my dreams!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is only for 3 days. I would just ask him to tough it out and then plan a nice dinner once you are all done, as a reward for his cooperation. He is 13, he should be able to do this.

8. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

No advice, but I just wanted to say that I can relate to what you are saying! My ds is 14.5, and almost 6ft tall. He is eating me out of house and home! His big brother never ate like he does. I really don't like him eating lots of deli meat and cheese, but they are carb free! Ds also had the same response to the pump. He was afraid it would get yanked out when he participated in his favorite activity: tackling his brother!