- advertisement -

Hello

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gwyn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Hi,

I've been reading "Ask the Experts" on CWD for a while now, but just got hooked on this forum. Wow! Everyone has such great insights and information to share.

We will see our pediatrician this week for our regular three month diabetes check and so I have a question for everyone. We are very happy with our doctor, but after reading the threads for the past few days I am curious if switching to an endo might be a good idea.

We always get an A1c value (done in the office with a fingerprick) and a urine dip for protein and glucose. We also go over the past few weeks nembers to see if there is anything that might be a problem. We're not ready for the pump yet, so that's not an issue. Is there anything else we need to be asking about or having done?

Thanks!

Gwyn

2. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

While I would be interested in creating a list of routine things a cwd should have checked - and as awesome as your ped sounds, there's got to be value in seeing a ped-endo as well as the regular ped.

3. bogusrogus

bogusrogus Approved members

Welcome to a place where you can rant and tell stories and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about:D

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Gwyn~
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm glad you found us! :DWhat a nice compliment you paid to all of us, thank you! I'm sure you'll be able to contribute, I see you have a year under your belt. I hope you celebrated his diagnoses with how far he's come. :cool:
    I would highly encourage you to find an Pediatric Endo. There is no reason you still can't see your Pediatrician, and I'm sure he/she would understand. I think that would be in Devin's best interest.

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Welcome! Glad you found us over here! I also would suggest looking into a ped endo. Just make sure the person is good. With some of the stories I've heard it sounds like some endos are operating out of the stone age and the pedis are more willing to be flexible with treatment. You can always switch back to using the pedi for regular check ups if you don't like the endo.

6. 3js

3js Approved members

welcome:) there is a lot of great info here!

personally, i like my son to see a pedi-endo. they are experts at kids w/d!

when we go, it`s for:
    the A1C
    dietician
    bg#`s/insulin discussion with endo
    general check w/d-nurse (height,weight)
    then to the lab where they draw blood for thyroid tests and celiac tests.

7. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

Welcome!

I'm on the other end of the spectrum here, we only have one endo in our state and he's terrible, so for us the CDE and the pediatrician are doing a fantastic job. My CDE is on call for me 24/7. I think it just depends on what your getting. So far the CDE is amazing and quite frankly is more up to date with the latest technology and how things work.