- advertisement -

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jessica L, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

My name is Jessica. I am a mother of 3 kids and have been married for 13 years. My twin boys are 12 with high functioning autism and epilepsy. My Daughter Riley is 10 years old and was diagnosed type one diabetic on 12-15-09. Puberty has kicked and well life is getting difficult for us both.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Jessica. Welcome to our community.:cwds:

I can only imagine how puberty makes D even more of a rebel!

How has your daughter adjusted?

What type of insulin regimen is she on?

3. Jessica L

Mentally she from the get go has dealt with it better than me. I am a fixer and cant fix this for her so its hard on me. She cried and got mad at D a few times but we did a lot of talking about excepting this and so on. So she has adjusted pretty good.

She is on injections still she doesnt want the pump and says maybe when she is older. Its her body so its her choice. Tho if it was mine she would be getting one sooner than later. She currently is on Levemir 27 units every night. Then novolog 1 unit for every 10-12 carbs. We just upped the levemir from 25 to help with hormonal highs 300-400 with no ketones for a week type highs. Now we get to guess when to lower it back to 25 and I am guessing tonight because she dropped to 85 going to bed at 250. I didnt correct her on purpose last night and I am glad I didnt. I also need to lower her carb ratio in the mornings cause she had a glass of milk the other morning I gave her one unit and she ended up over 300 two hours later. She didnt need a correction that morning.

So yeah this puberty thing is really messing with her numbers. She is like this for a little over a week once a month and she seems to follow my cycle with it. She has yet to start her period tho.

4. carcha

carcha Approved members

Hi Jessica, and welcome. Puberty is a real challenge in diabetes land, but please know that you're not alone in it and there's lots of good information here on this forum for dealing with all of the ups and downs to come.

5. Jessica L

Thank you for the welcome. I am sure I will learn a lot here from other parents.

6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hello Jessica and welcome. I completely understand - about the girly stuff. If it is any consolation one of the Dads posted that their daughter had hit 13 and things evened out! It has for us, to a certain extent. If anything you are probably going through the worst patch now. Is she growing like a weed? Girls tend to do that earlier than the boys. I often see the insulin increase before the sprout (hey more plant references!). Very green of me! LOL:D

7. Jessica L

She isnt growing hardly at all. She has always been tiny. She is short and of average weight. My boys grow like a inch over night aver couple of months but not her she grows really really slowly all year long. The girly stuff started in not long before her DX so her doctor told me to expect her to start her period any time. I know it can take up to two years after puberty kicks in tho and I hope it does. She is just to dang young for it. She just turned 10 in August.

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome. I do not have a lot of advise as my son was already 16 when he was dx'd so we were passed most of the puberty stuff.

Best of luck..BTW I have two kids, Kaleb and Riley.

9. Jessica L

Hi! Almost every other Caleb we know is with a K my hubby insisted on a C lol When we picked Riley for our daughter I had yet to hear of another one. Then a month after she was born my dads friends daughter named their daughter Riley but spelled different on top of it they had one of the same middle names for their daughter lol. We didnt know (not by choice) if Ri was a boy or girl so we picked a unisex name.