- advertisement -

Hello! We're new...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Larica262, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Larica262

Larica262 New Member

Is this the right place to post an introduction? I just joined the group and I am so glad to have found you. My sweet, wonderful 2-year-old daughter was diagnosed with T1D on July 29th, so we've been on this journey just over 2 months. Sadly, this is not completely new to me, since my dad was diabetic. Also sadly, we lost him to D complications 13 years ago. This, of course, made my daughter's diagnosis that much harder. I am slowly realizing how much the technology has changed since my dad was living with D, but the disease is still the same and I am still sad for my dd. I was not well myself when dd's symptoms really ramped up, so it took me a little longer to catch on and we ended up in the PICU with DKA. Thankfully, she and I are both doing better. Her numbers are still quite variable, but she is 2 and I guess that is to be expected. I am so interested in all the discussions about pumps and CGMs. How young is too young for such things? I want to do everything I can to help my daughter avoid the complications that my dad faced. Thanks so much for being here and sharing your wisdom.

Erica

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome! (And we're sad for your reason to be here.)

The care of T1 has really changed. I am so thankful to have the ability to change basals rapidly, to be able to look at the CGM for a peek into what is happening inside her body as she peacefully sleeps, for the alarms that wake me if things need attention.

Your little one is NOT too little for either pump or CGM. In fact, I think the small doses that a pump allows (.025 units!) and the monitoring you can do with a CGM will benefit your daughter greatly.

The best appointment we had my daughter's first year with D was an eye doctor who showed her her own scans and those of retinopathy and told her that the closer she could keep her A1C to a 6, the less risk she had of ever developing complications. The eye doctor went on to tell her about her own T1 friend with no complications after 30 years. That night my daughter requested a correction shot. She understood the why and the consequences involved. She was several years older than your daughter, but the take-away she gained should be encouraging to you as well.

My recommendations for newbies (beyond CGM) are

1) Nutrition Scale - Perfect Portions is available at Bed, Bath, & Beyond or Target.
    2) Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Hello! My daughter was diagnosed at 17 months. We ended up in the PICU too. Her numbers change rapidly still at almost 5yo. I definitely think its mostly due to how insulin sensitive little kids are.

I'm sorry about you dad, did he have t1 also? or type 2?

Most people find pumps wonderful. I did not but that might be due to the fact that we did shots for about 3 years before going to the pump so we (me most of all) were used to them. My daughter has steadier numbers on shots and after a change of insulin (humalog to apidra) I'm very happy with her BGs. She's only had I think 1 high high (over 300) in a month.

The sooner you go to a pump, the better it may be. We're hopefully getting a cgm soon.

Don't focus on the complications, it'll justmake you crazy. Focus on good numbers day to day. You can only really take it day to day. It gets easier

4. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I'm sorry you've had to join"club",but the goes news is that you found a great resource in this forum. I have learned more here then I have from our endo or his cde

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Thinking about you and your daughter

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2. Now he is 6 1/2! WE are approaching our 4 year anniversary of his diagnosis. I know the feeling of knowing about diabetes too - is dad has been a type 1 since the age of 8.

This is a great place to learn from other parents. We did shots for 6 months and started pumping when my son was three with a medtronic pump. It was a great decision. We purchased cute pump pouches with THomas the Train and sports pouches so he would be excited about wearing it.

We recently started with the DExcom CGM and it is a MUST have! It gives you piece of mind and lets you sleep through the night withut having to get up every few hours in the middle of the night to check your child's blood sugar.

I wonder if it isn't even BETTER than a pump if you had to pick just one.

Take it day by day - and as parents on this board say - this is a marathon, not a sprint. You will have good days and bad days. Just thank God for your child.

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

I'd recommend a pump as you can give tiny amounts of insulin that couldn't be achieved on injections without diluting insulin. We use combo boluses some of the time which give added control. There is only one injection every three days, which is great for young ones.

Pumps aren't for everyone, as Kristen showed above, and there is no one correct way to deal with diabetes, but I'd suggest talking to your endo about it. My son shows that young age is no barrier to a pump.

Dealing with diabetes in preschoolers is no picnic but there's plenty on here who have been through it so ask any questions, no matter how trivial or silly they seem.

7. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

It's nice to meet you, sorry it is here, but you have come to the right place. It's my go to place for support, information, answers from those who have walked in these shoes far longer than us. My Daughter was dx shortly after turning 4! I wish now we knew all the benefits of pumping insulin back then. She was terribly sensitive to insulin and carbs so it was very difficult to try and get some regulation. Once we started to pump at 6 yr old her A1C slowly started to come down and I feel more in control. I could finally give those tiny doses of insulin without fear of hyper- or hypoglycemia. She loves loves pumping in comparison to injections BUT like stated before... Not everyone feels the same way and you will know what's best for your child as you navigate further. We are just now thinking about a CGM and I love the fact that I have someplace to come to for answers to all my crazy questions. I know how overwhelming those first few months are so be kinda to yourself, build a foundation of knowledge and work your way up from there. For me it was like trying to put a roof on a house before it had walls, but soon realized I had to take it one step at a time. Just know this wonderful forum is here to support you, your daughter and family!!!!

8. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Sorry you had reason to join the forum, but this is a great place to find information and support! I often just read and soak in advice from other posters. It does get easier. My son was dx at 10 months and is now 9 so I know the toddler years can be challenging. But, you'll get through them and your little one will flourish! You will have good days and bad days, but you dust yourself off and keep on going. We are still on injections so I don't have advice on the pump but it seems the people that use the pump really love it. The technology available now is amazing! I think the key is finding something that works for your little one. Good luck and please remember that things will get easier.

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We are pretty new here too. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed in late July. We are still doing NPH and Humalog right now, but got a CGM and started using it last Thursday night. I LOVE it!!! What was driving me crazy was the fact that her numbers were all over the place and I couldn't get a trend. Now I can. Also, I can just run in her room and check it rather than having to wake her up and prick her finger. I say this, but in four nights, we have had lows that we needed to treat at night. It makes me wonder if she had them before and rebounded before we knew it.

After four days we already have discovered some foods that are better and worse and have been able to better plan snacks and meals to keep from going too high.