- advertisement -

Hello loving parents!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dx011106, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

I posted this in the "introductions" forum, but would like to reach as many people as quickly as possible to ensure a great turn out to Children's Congress, so:

Hi Everyone!
    As you may gather from my username, I was diagnosed January 11, 2006. I had just turned 18 the month before, and without any family history, my family was quite shocked (my mom is a nurse, her father a neurologist and many of her siblings are also involved in the medical field). I'm almost 21 now and still discovering new things about my diabetes every day. Though I have not had diabetes for very long, I have found great support and information through Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

I am currently a Junior in college and I have received the opportunity to study in Washington, DC for the semester. With my program came two days each week set aside to intern for an organization of my choosing. I am now starting my third week and have been presented with a task: recruit families to apply for Children's Congress!

Unfortunately I was diagnosed too late for this amazing opportunity, but would love to pass the information along to anyone currently unaware:
    For those of you that don't know, Children’s Congress organizes over a hundred children from across the country, ages 4-17 and living with type 1, in Washington, DC to meet with members of congress. The goal is to convey to the lawmakers what life is really like for children living with type 1 diabetes.
    In years past, these children have met with members, testified in front of congress, and more. It can be a great experience for the kids and can have a highly beneficial impact on congress’ overall knowledge about diabetes and the funding necessary for a cure! There is still time to apply so I definitely recommend that anyone interested look into it at http://cc.jdrf.org

More on me - I started off on Lantus/Humalog, but switched to a MiniMed Paradigm 522 (using Humalog) December 12, 2007. BEST decision of my life!
    More on my parents, since each of you can relate to them - As noted, my mother is a RN (in OB/GYN for 20 years, now in the hospital with pre-operation care for high risk patients). She is probably the most compassionate and loving woman I have had the pleasure to know and learn from. My dad provides phenomenal support, love, and GREAT health insurance. Through diabetes, I have found a deep love for my family and have become very thankful for the strong support system they provide me. My parents were courageous and unselfish enough to allow me to attend college out of state. Reluctantly, they supported my decision to study here in DC for the semester.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding Children's Congress or JDRF, please feel free to email me directly!

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I thought they only picked one kid from each state :confused: Hailey applied for it :) We are both hoping that she gets to go but I did warn her there were "thousands" of children applying :rolleyes:

BTW I had to laugh at this

3. Dx011106

While I can understand why you thought JDRF only picked one child from each state, there are usually somewhere between 150 to 165 kids that attend Children's congress. There is in no way a set number of attendees; if there are already two children from California accepted, but we receive a very compelling and enlightening application, there are no restrictions to deny the third child admitance. The only thing that can prevent a child from applying and/or attending is their age and whether or not they have previously attended (because we want all children to have the chance to make a difference!)

I am so glad to hear you and Hailey applied - I had seen a previous post from 2006 stating your interest and had actually posted on your "visitors messages" section this morning. I wish you luck and thanks for the intuitive question!!!

PS - My dad tends to call himself "First National Bank of Daddy". Even though I have held summer and school jobs for the past three years, I still take advantage of the outstanding co-pay and other such luxuries having a stable job at a great company allows (can you say $1,000 for my pump instead of $6,000???)

4. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Thanks! I just filled out the application with Connor. I hope he is selected.

Amy

5. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

We filled it out for Deirdre the day it was made available. She's so new to this D thing, but she wants to speak out about it. :)

6. Dx011106

Just a reminder

Applications for Children's Congress are due October 6th! So if you're at all interested please visit cc.jdrf.org and look into it!!!

7. robinseggs

robinseggs Approved members

Thankyou Megan for this reminder thread. I have been working on Mandy's letter (she's only 6) and trying to get it right...need to go finish it now! Thanks again, Robin

8. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

We're working on it!!! Thanks for the thread!

9. Dx011106

One last reminder

Applications for Children's Congress are due in the office (not postmarked) THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 6TH!!!

Please feel free to ask me any questions here or shoot me an email!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  10. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I applied for Kat. I doubt it will be chosen since we dont have a great passport headshot.

11. Dx011106

While photos are needed to be included in the application, they are definitely not what decides who is selected. The most important is the written application and the content within.

12. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Brittney wrote her own last night.. I was proud of her wanting to do this. She said she would do anything to find a cure...god love her..