advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Kiwis...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by KHS22, Jul 25, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Hi all,

I'm originally from NZ. Live in Canada now. Planning my first trip back in a couple months since my little one was diagnosed. We'll be there for about a month.

I'm absolutely panicked about supplies etc. The amount I need to pack for a month + back up... well its ridiculous!

So I was thinking I'd check on what is easily available to purchase there, and maybe plan on that??

She's on the animas pump, which I know is there. But can you get reservoirs and sites at the chemist like we can in Canada?

What about Humalog - we don't need a prescription here for it, it can be bought over the counter. Do you need one in NZ?

Also, we'll be in Christchurch most of the time if that helps!

Thanks!

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Hi there,

We get our Animas supplies on prescription so not sure if you can buy them. The local supplier is NZMS but they are based in Auckland. You can contact them here and Jo, the South Island rep, is probably the best person to speak to.

Humalog is available in NZ but again is prescription only.

The other thing would be test strips. NZ only funds one brand, Caresens, which I wouldn't recommend. It is possible to buy Accu-Chek and Freestyle Optium (Exceed) as a few people can still get exemptions for funding or are self-funding. There is very little choice of strips in NZ so don't assume you will be able to pick up a box that fit your meter.

If you're going to Christchurch maybe you could contact the local Diabetes Centre to find out what's available. They are very helpful.

When we went to the UK for three weeks we took everything with us and it all worked out fine but I agree it's a lot of extra to pack.

Enjoy your trip. If you haven't been to Christchurch for a few years it's....well....different!

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

You can buy sites and cartridges direct from NZMS - www.nzms.co.nz but not at pharmacies. You should bring your own strips... You need a prescription for insulin.

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks guys! Interesting how different it is -none of that stuff is prescription in Canada. So, I will bring a monumental amount of supplies! :)