- advertisement -

Hello from Ottawa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JeweleighaB, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JeweleighaB

JeweleighaB New Member

So I'm new here and see this new world of acronyms, etc will take some getting used to!

We have three boys, and our baby was diagnosed at 16 months. I took him to the hospital because he wouldn't sleep, was very grumpy, clingy, etc and after three nights I thought something must be wrong. Sat in emerg for ages (while he breastfed, drank a carton of chocolate milk and then motioned for more), and when I saw the doc was sent home and told to keep giving him fluids. We got home at about 2 or 3 am, and when I fed him in the morning he had black eyes and was panting and freezing cold. I sure didn't want to waste time in emerg again but decided to take him again. This time, he was seen promptly. He was quite sick ( DKA). We were there from Monday until Thursday.

So that's our story. Matthew just turned 20 months so we are new at this but feel that we have adapted quickly. We have a good diabetes team here at our children's hospital. My husband and I are both equally competent at his care.

Two things that I've wondered about include finding a babysitter with experience with diabetes (someone should set this sort of thing up!), and I wondered if any breastfeeding moms could weigh in. He is up a few times at night and I am reluctant to let him cry in case his levels are going too low. I could orick him a couple times/ night, but who wants to wake up to that? ;)

Looking forward to meeting you all!

2. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

OMG..i cannot imagine going through what you just went through. I am so sorry. We were just diagnosed as well, but we are 13 and he could tell me what was going on. I just thought he was run down and had a cold, maybe mono. I am sure there is someone on here that can help you with all of that and if your team is like mine, I email them or page them whenever I want and they promptly get back to me.

Babysitting, you may need to find someone who is willing to learn right along with you and be kind of your sole back up. The kids stopped using a sitter about a year ago, but the one they had still is super involved in their lives and she suggested at any time she would go with us to classes etc to learn more about what to do. She is 50 and she is going to start doing some periodic stuff again for us, as we have some events in the evening and would be safer leaving Hunter with someone who can help him with dinner and his bedtime Lantus.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I do not have any advice for your specific questions. My son is 12, and was diagnosed at age 11 so we entered this nutty T1D world later than you.

I read your story and I just wanted to say that I am sorry you and your son had to go through that. My son was also very sick at diagnosis, and like you we had been to the Dr's several times before they caught on.

But welcome to CWD. Sorry you have to be here but here is not a bad place to be.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Oh my. So sorry you went through that. My son was also very very sick upon diagnoses but he's 13yo.

No advice on babysitters. I guess he needs insulin when he nurses? What a bummer. I bet you are tired!! Mine nurses at night to and I was exhausted minus diabetes.

5. JeweleighaB

JeweleighaB New Member

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

My mom can do Matthew's insulin but she is five hours away. It was nice over the holidays to sleep in, while he was taken care of. I have shown a sitter how to measure his blood glucose level, and she did fine. because of his size, his humulog is diluted ten times, while his humulin (am) and levimir (pm) aren't diluted. So it is a little more confusing for drawing up his insulin since 0.4 of humulog is four units, while 1 or levemir is one unit. And then there's the sliding scale... So I don't feel comfortable giving someone a quick run down and then expecting them to get it right.

The breastfeeding is tricky with counting carbs. I am pleased that I wasn't told not to breastfeed though. We estimate 10 min to be 10 carbs, but that is not scientific. We tried to measure using a bottle while he was in the hospital, but he wasn't ready to be trying something different at that point.

Anyhow, good to hear from you all!

6. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Sorry about the diagnosis, but glad you found your way to this forum.

I would check with your local JDRF chapter about finding a sitter. The local coordinator may be able to contact some teens or young adults in the area who have T1D and may be knowledgeable. That's where I'd start. I have a teen (older sister) to my T1D kid who would like to offer herself as a sitter to kids with T1D as she has learned a lot.

Blessings.

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Hello, and welcome!

I don't have experience nursing a Type 1 toddler. However, I read this article recently, and your question reminded me of it. The information in the article and the links at the end might be useful for you: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/breastfeeding-type-1-diabetes-child/

As for babysitters, this is a long shot, but if you start attending events at your local JDRF or equivalent, or if you join a local type 1 Facebook group (if your city/region has one), you might connect with a type 1 teen or sibling who's interested in sitting. I've heard of other families finding sitters that way, but we haven't managed to find such a dream arrangement ourselves. We live far from family, so we asked our friends to recommend the most responsible college-age or older sitters they know, and we have trained two of them, starting with an hour or two of us supervising diabetes management at home before we left the sitter alone with our dd. Both of our sitters text us for every poke and random question, and both have done a fabulous job. We pay both of these women a premium over what our friends pay their teenaged sitters, and therefore we don't go out as often as we otherwise would!

Good luck with everything, glad you found cwd!

8. JeweleighaB

JeweleighaB New Member

Thanks for the advice. First I checked out the Ottawa JDRF, and it seems that not much is going on. I am not sure what others do or don't have through their chapter, but it seems this is mostly fundraising activities through events like races. I guess I was wondering about some sort of group that met, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I signed up for a local mentor but have heard nothing yet. No local fb group either. My friend told me to start one... I think I need more hours in the day!
    That kelly mom article was just great. Thank you!

9. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Welcome!

Ours wasn't quite as young as yours, but, yes, babysitting was a huge challenge. We lucked out for this year and found a nanny that has type 1, and is very involved in the diabetes world, and wanted to work with kids iwth diabetes. The only problem - hole lot more expensive than before/after care etc.

Last year, I emailed our local nursing school, with our story, and asked them to send out to students. They did, and I must have gotten 20 responses. We ended up hiring 3 of them, training them on everything, and they babysat for us. Very nice to know that they had some background, comfortable with injections etc.

ETA: the students we hired told me that a lot of the students make facebook groups - so if you search on Facebook for "carlton university nursing" kind of thing, you might find their groups, and ask there!

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Hello and welcome!

I am just down the 401 from you in the GTA! My now-six-year-old son was diagnosed at 2.5, so he was little, but not as little as your son. There are a lot of challenges in caring for toddlers and preschoolers with t1d, but it's do-able! I think you've been given a lot of good advice about babysitters. Honestly, we took university students who were willing to learn, started them off at times when they wouldn't need to worry about insulin at all (like going out right after a meal), and gradually added in the responsibility of dosing. Of course, in our case he had switched from injections to the pump by that point, so it was a bit easier and less intimidating for the babysitters.

I can't speak to breastfeeding, although there are other moms here who can. You might want to post a specific thread in the Parents of Children With Diabetes forum to get more views. I will say, though, that my kid sleeps right through night-time checks. If I startle him, he might roll over and stick out a finger, but other than that he does not react. Now, if your son is already awake and wailing, you might not want to try right at that moment, but if you are concerned about night-time level, don't be intimidated about doing checks or frustrated if he wakes up at first. Four years in, and a night rarely goes by when I do not check him, even with a CGM.

I don't know of any local fb groups, but I am a member of a Canadian group. There are quite a few members from Ontario, and definitely a few who are based out of CHEO, if that's where you are. If you would like to join, please feel free to send me a message with your details and I will add you to the group!

Good luck