advertisement

Hello again and Verapamil

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Nov 7, 2018.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Hello all! It's been a while and I hope everyone is doing well!

So my wife just called me at the office to recount a phone call she had this morning with another T1D Dad. (As Red said in Shawshank Redemption, "hope is a dangerous thing". So the years have worn away at any cure/fix/help optimism I was able to muster in the early years and now everything is viewed through doubt-colored glasses.:)) Anyway, back to my wife's phone call. This Dad, whose son is in his 20s and was dx 10 years ago, said his son has been on Verapmil for three years. He says that his son's insulin needs have been cut by 70%, and he only delivers minor boluses after eating. Also a total game changer for A1C. Is anyone familiar with this drug and its uses? This release implies it's for trials in early onset, but this father tells a very different story.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180709132720.htm

Best,

David

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So did they just take a chance with Verapamil or did he need to have it for other reasons?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, from what I have seen this is a calcium channel blocker and is an approved drug used to treat high blood pressure and chest pain.
    It also has some pretty significant potential side effects. I would be surprised if a Endo would prescribe this as an off label treatment for Type 1. Especially since there is already a pretty good treatment for it (insulin).
    Also, if it works by improving Beta-Cell function, it would be of no use to anyone who no longer has functioning Beta-Cells. But it is an interesting read, regardless.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  4. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Wow! 70% less insulin? That is a lot.
    I can tell you that Verapamil has gone through phase-I and phase-II clinical trials on newly diagnosed with type-1 diabetes. The results were promising (but not as good your friend's son). I've blogged on it a total of five times, and you can read all the details there:
    https://cureresearch4type1diabetes.blogspot.com/search/label/Verapamil

Interestingly, the clinical trial was done on honeymooners (newly diagnosed people), but your friend's son has established type-1 diabetes.

Joshua