- advertisement -

Hearing CGM alarm at night...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

So, I'm a LIGHT sleeper. Thought I'd have no problem hearing the alarm with the baby monitor. But I AM. BIG TIME.

What do you do (other than actually SLEEP with your CWD!) to hear the alarm? I tried actually moving the Dex into my room a few feet at time and didn't make it. That would've been AWESOME if that would've worked!

Help!

2. gregwaehner

gregwaehner Approved members

Hi there - we have a similar issue with the Dex. The only thing I have considered is an "intercom" sort of solution that would pick up the alarm, and have the other end of the intercom on your bedside table. We didn't have to go down this road yet as we've been able to put the Dex on the other side of the wall from our daughter's bed... which happens to be in the master bath, so I hear it (and am a light sleeper).

- Greg

3. Diana

Diana Approved members

I never tried this with the Dex, but I put our Guardian on an upside-down metal mixing bowl and use the vibrate alarm. The rattling wakes me up two rooms away - no monitors or microphones.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I actually had to buy a new baby monitor because DH accidentally vacuumed up the cord to the 10 year old OLD monitor! We bought a $14 Graco simple baby monitor at Walmart and OH MY is it SO LOUD. Even the vibrations wake me up from a dead sleep! When the dex beeps at night it has to be louder than a fire alarm!

A couple of tricks -- both monitors (the old and new) did NOT like to be next to a charger of any kind - phone, dexcom, etc. It would create a horrible buzz on the monitor. If you get rid of the chargers, then there is no feedback, which really helps me sleep better!

5. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I have a very simple safety first baby monitor that is very loud. Like Brenda said it doesn't like other chargers or it does make static. As long as it's clear from interference it is very loud.

Some people on here put it in a metal can with coins so when it vibrates it makes more noise.

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Some people put the receiver in a metal pan or a glass with some coins so the vibration makes a lot of noise.

7. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I tried putting it in a container with coins but something was interfering with it and it wouldn't read... I have a monitor but it doesn't seem to work as well as the other ones you all have... hmmmmm....

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

The receiver doesn't like anything metal either. If I put it in a metal pan it will lose a connection. I just opted for the new baby monitor and ditched the pan!

9. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Wow! These are such good suggestions! I'm just wondering though... does the loud vibrating on the metal or with the coins startle your child? I'd be afraid it would scare them from the loud, sudden noises.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We put our Dexcom in a pottery dish my son made with loose coins in it. I have a baby monitor next to it and can hear it quite well.

11. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Heard all the suggestions about putting in a metal bowl, etc. but if CGM is part of pump, then the bowl has to be in the bed with child and that isn't very comfortable!!! Wish the manufacturers would get on this - be able to set an alarm louder during sleep times, something :(

12. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We use the Radio Shack wireless microphone system. Works like a charm. We sleep with a really loud stand fan in our bedroom, so it has to be LOUD to hear it over that fan.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2131022

Costs more than a cheap baby monitor (we tried those first and got the feedback) but it's worth it for a good night's sleep (between alarms!) ;)

13. Diana

Diana Approved members

Again, we are using the Guardian - but I have found that the key to using the metal bowl is to turn the bowl upside down and place the receiver on top. When I put the receiver inside the bowl, it is not nearly loud enough and we lose the connection too easily.

I also remember that Dexcom once told me that metal can interfere with the signal, so this might not be a viable solution for the Dex.