- advertisement -

Healthy snack for treating low BG

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoveMyHounds, Jun 1, 2014.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Dried fruit will rocket up the blood sugars!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I work in the school's and a great majority use juice boxes to treat lows, and two if there is IOB or activety related.

We, personally, have only had a handful of lows that needed 2 juices to bring up BG in 15 minutes in 4 years of being in school.

I think there are some people that juice is too slow for them, but luckily it is not for my dd. Our climate is so dry that a drink is always needed and kills two birds with 1 stone.

I actually only plan on tabs or dried fruit when we are walking/hiking and away from our car/hotel/camp area. It is field day tomorrow and I plan on having her carry tabs Just in case.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

Ali, I bought a 3/4 lb bag of dried pineapple, which is about the size of a hard baseball, for $2.95. Not bad at all. It might even be cheaper in bulk bins. Were having a "low" day today so it's getting used a lot!

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thanks. I will give this a try. I am an adult but when first diagnosed as a teen I was told to drink apple juice or eat life savers. I now hate apple juice, too many warm cans of it drunk over my first few years. I was told at one point by a big diabetes center that Apple juice was in fact not that fast and too use glucose. I read recently a report that said skittles were as quick as glucose tabs. I believe dried fruit may be super quick as you said. It makes sense as the drying process will already have broken down the sugars. The juice question is interesting, maybe no real studies? I have read that carbonation helps the sugars get in more quickly which is why I will use soda sometimes for lows. Love any info anyone has, when I am low I want quick fixes, especially at 3:00AM! Thank you for the cost info. I eat sugars during most days and nights, I wear a CGMS and use quick acting sugars to bring up looming lows. After all these years I really really hate lows of any sort. I too today had one of those periods of ridiculous lows that just persisted, was it the extra 20 minutes of gardening I did, a hormonal switch up, emotional, a fantastic pump site, but for me at this point and age it was extreme, like an every three months extreme episode of a low that just would not correct despite tons of extra carbs. Yuck :(
    Ali

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Do you find dried pineapple that is fruit only somewhere? I have found it once at Costco but the stuff at the grocery store is FILLED with sugar. I suppose it's better than straight sugar as it has fruit but personally am not sure it's a "healthy" choice. I'd love to find a regular source for dried pineapple that is fruit only though.

6. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

Germack Pistacho Co. sells it but its pricier than the other options listed here. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Dried...3&sr=8-1&keywords=germack+pistachio+pineapple

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

We find it at local fruit stands without added sugar. They also have mango, kiwi and a few others we haven't tried yet.

It seems to me that if your looking for something truly healthy it may be too complex for really rapid absorption too treat lows quickly. Lets not loose sight of what were' trying to accomplish when treating a low, especially a stubborn one. A can of soda is a whole lot healthier than a bs of 40.