- advertisement -

healthplan versus 504

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by doratheexplora, Dec 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

Anyone know the difference between a HealthPlan and a 504? School is insisting my child does not need a 504 because he has an IEP, but will not incorporate "504" into IEP and want to call it a HealthPlan. Currently, his "504" has the following information: (delineates diabetes definition, emergency protocol, classroom protocol, fieldtrips, location of supplies, policy for abscences related to diabetes, etc.)? Isn't this what should be in a 504? Why are they insisting I call it a HealthPlan? Help!

2. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I don't think you can have an IEP and a 504. I would think an IEP and a healthplan would be fine. The 504 works well for those who don't qualify for an IEP.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is true: you have a health plan and either an IEP or a 504. Those who already have an IEP have the diabetes info that would be in a 504 added to it.

4. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Doratheexplora, The health care plan is only a health care plan from the doctor. Your child has an IEP therefore you will tack the diabetes portion for accommodations into that. You either get an IEP or 504. As far as language goes the health care plan is from the doctor and the IEP is all of the other stuff. So what they should call it depends on what they are referring too. The who, what, when, where, and how of the accommodations are the IEP. The doctor says this is the health care plan. Hope this helps.

5. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

School still does not want to add the "504" into the IEP (covers field trips, who will be trained to administer insulin, emergency protocol, etc.)...they say they want to have it in a binder but don't want to call it anything. Seems weird to me. I think it should be cut and pasted into the IEP.?????