- advertisement -

He wasn't just dx'd yesterday.......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bsbllmom, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

This is mostly just a vent. I need to get it out to someone who understands and won't give me the "well he is trying" garb.

The other night we had chicken, lo mein noodles and veggies. The veggies were 3 carbs for 1/2 cup and the noodles were 45 for 1 cup. Well I didn't quite fill the cup all the way to the top, almost though. So I gave Christian 3 units Humalog. When he tested before bed he was 288:eek: So I was thinking out loud as to why he went so high. It was 3 hours later btw. Any way DH speaks up and says "was it because he ate too much or not enough?":eek::eek: WTH We have been dealing with this for 10 months and he has been encouraging me to go and leave Christian with him because he knows what to do. With a question like that how am I supposed to feel comfortable?

There I vented. I just needed to get that out.:cwds:

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I know how you feel, sometimes I think my husband is Homer Simpson - doh!!
    :confused:

3. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

I hear ya. Hang in there. Just don't forget the cell, because you know the minute you go somewhere he is going to call you. lol

4. mph

mph Approved members

well

You could always leave him with MY dh.........

who recently offered to "help with Nick" and asked ..... "He gets 2H and 15N, now which one is the long acting insulin? The clear one, right?" :eek:

We use Humalog (clear) and NPH (cloudy)!!!!!! 15 units of HUMALOG would be a MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!!!! Needless to say, I didn't get that extra sleep :(.

He is convinced that an IDIOT decided to give Humalog WITH Humulin N!!!!!! They are too close in name for him (the actual "NPH" is in tiny print)!!!!! YIKES! Gotta love him!;)

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

this is why I handle everything, well in dh's defense he works offshore most of the time so he isn't here. I have him set an alarm to feed Tony's snacks if I want to get out of the house or he'll forget-and of course I have it all measured out beforehand! The man drives remote operated submarines but he can't do math for carb counts:confused:

6. twodoor2

My DH is an electrical engineer with two degrees, and he can't carb count either.

. . . and they say men rule the world because???

This is a fun "men bashing" thread. I hope we don't get in trouble from some of the D-fathers lurking here. :D

7. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Hey hey, easy on the man-bashing. There are many of us on here that know how to do things right! ;)

8. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

You know -- I'm sure this has been said before, but sometimes we Moms are a little domineering and don't give our hubby's the chance to do this stuff without us watching over their shoulder, shrieking when they don't do things "our" way.

i'm not saying this is happening in your house, I'm just saying this has happened in mine.

There's a Momma way and a Daddy way and both are RIGHT, just different.

Maybe you need to relinquish a little control and allow hubby to use that brilliant mind of his to manage diabetes.

I do the majority of the day to day care around here, but I know I can walk out the door and the boys will be well cared for.

Good luck!!

9. twodoor2

That's exactly what my DH complains about with me. I cannot relinquish control to him because he doesn't do things exactly the way I tell him to do them. Yes, I'm a control freak about her D. He sees air bubbles in the syringe, and it's no big deal to him, he doesn't wait ten seconds to keep the syringe in her, no big deal. He doesn't weigh food, no big deal. He and I have very different out looks on things. I'm into precision and I'm extrememly detail oriented, almost down to a microscopic level. He looks at things on a higher and less precise level. That's why I'm doing everythng.

We have a nanny watch the kids during the day when I'm at work, and she does everything exactly like I tell her to do it, and I have no problem with her giving shots or taking care of my kids while I'm away. She even calls me at work to confirm dosage information. However, I dread when DH is even alone with our 22 month old toddler, he's always getting injured because he isn't being fully watched (must be a football game on or something).

I know when she goes to school in fall '08, I'm going to be a nervous wreck, and her numbers might go awall.

Aren't I horrible??!!

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Oh -- you're not horrible at all. It's just so hard to let go of the control. We really struggled with this, too, when C was diagnosed 7 years ago!! Dad's always do things different and Carson still NEEDS his dad!! You would be suprised that when left completely alone with your child and D, the dad learns REALLY fast. Sometimes the problem is that they don't ever get to be left alone. I don't want Carson to grow up and resent me because I wouldn't let him spend alone time with dad because of HIS diabetes.

I used to yell and yell at DH because he didn't watch my youngest wild child close enough. Then it was ME who played to hard with him and dislocated his elbow :eek:. And I nag and nag about DH's nervewracking driving habits (and he's never gotten a ticket or been in an accident). Then it was ME just this week who backed out of our driveway and hit a car. And we ALL make mistakes with D care. Okay, I'm going off on tangents now -- I just wanted to say that kids need their dads!!!

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

There's an easy solution to at least one small problem here -- the confusion with the two insulins. File labels on the pens or vials: LONG-TERM, FAST (with food).

Because the two names DO sound alike, and if you're only doing it a couple of times a month, it's not second nature like if you're doing it everyday.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would have said "I know why. Why do you think it happened?" Maybe he was just having a senior moment:D

13. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

You got that right. The ladies on this site can be down right scary when they get mad.:eek:

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Now that is a scary thought. By the way, my Mother is a college professor retired and she thinks I can get the carb grams by weighing the package instead of the food.

15. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

The first week we were home from the hospital I put red tape on the humalog. I told our CDE that they should give newbies "starter packs" of insulin that are clearly marked for sleep-deprived, stressed out parents.

We were using NPH and humolog diluted 1:10. I don't want to think what would have happened had we mistakenly injected 5 units of NPH instead of .5 units of humalog.:eek:

Kirsten

16. sevans

sevans Approved members

My son goes on his every other weekend trip to his fathers and I cringe every time. I know that he watches over him, but now that Jacob is getting older he tells me things that his dad has done that just horrifies me.

for example:
    1. He ALWAYS does 1 to 2 more units than what he is supposed to b/c his dad would rather him be low than high. I don't know why he just don't do things right. :rolleyes:
    2. He used the same needle once to do novalog and then the Lantus.:eek:
    I had to throw both vials away when Jacob got home, b/c I was afraid they were contaminated.
    3. He does his Lantus later than 7pm when I do it. I think he does it like at 9 or 10pm sometimes.

I am sure there are many other things that have happend that my son has not informed me of b/c he knows it freaks me out.

Of course, there are other issues other than the diabetes, but I won't go into all that. :eek:

17. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

So true! My husband is awesome with D care. :) We're always on the same page, and I can leave him with the kids overnight while I visit my sister without even having to go over anything. He trades off getting up to check BG at night with me and knows how to cook with carb factoring. He looks through her pump daily if I haven't done so yet and changes basal rates as needed--exactly as I would do.

I know some of you are dealing with crappy ex-husbands and it always makes my blood boil when I read those stories. Just know there are wonderful men out there who really do know how to do this and are willing to step up to it.

18. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My husband has, in the past:

--left a 3 year old and a seven year old ALONE because the Sunday paper was late and he NEEDED to get it from the 7-11. And believe me, even then the 3 year old was more trustworthy than the 7 year old. And apparently the 37 year old.

--allowed a 4 year old to wander the neighborhood for a good hour, semi-clothed (the kid).

--lost a 7 year old on the wildly crowded beach at Ocean City, MD. The kid knew his best friend was 12 blocks down and decided to walk when he got no response from his dad.

So yeah, I'm real thankful that he has virtually no role in Tom's care. But neither, really, do I anymore. Kid's a dream with that.

Becky

19. yonex888

yonex888 New Member

Eating too much can actually raise BG's according to Dr. Richard Berstein's as stated in his book Diabetes Solution page 97, called the "Chinese Restaurant effect".

20. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Yep, I second that. My DH does things totally different than I do, but I don't worry at all if he's in charge. Our goal is that Caleb grow up strong and healthy, how we get there doesn't really matter.