- advertisement -

He wants to run a 5K...any advice on keeping BS level?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Nov 9, 2009.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Blake wants to run a 5K in 3 weeks, the run falls ON HIS D ANNIVERSARY and it will be 2 years.
    He said he just wants to see if he can do it and as much as it makes me nervous, I think I may have to let him do it. Its one of those crossroads where my logic tells me this is going to be difficult to control but my heart tells me he can do ANYTHING and wants to prove it.
    He's calling my bluff from all the times I told him kids with D can do whatever they want:rolleyes:

My question is:
    How do I keep his BS up during the run?
    Its 3.1 miles and I expect that he will run/walk.
    Is one carb better then another for this kind of activity?
    Am I being really stupid if I do let his do this?

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

You are being the most fantastic parent EVER to let him to this, Shannon! You will get some more intelligent responses on this from those who run, I'm sure, but I'd say, off the bat, that sipping regular Gatorade along the way will do a lot for him.

Bravo to you for stepping outside your comfort zone!

3. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Did I mention that I am NOT a runner?
    This would mean I would have to chase him for 3.1 miles carrying "the kit", like a caddy. LOL.
    He finds this scenerio hysterical by the way.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would have a few trial runs to see how it impact his bg. I'd find a track where he could run the distance and where you could keep and eye on him and record your start and finish and 30, 60, 90 min later bgs ( or some sort of post run tests) and use that to plan for the actual race. Maybe for the actual race you could station friends and family at 1/2 mile markers with juice at the ready?

I don't think you're crazy, btw :cwds: I think it's great that he wants to and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work!

5. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I'm not sure you would have to chase him :). Is there anyone you know who could run with him? Maybe a responsible teenaged boy? Maybe Blake just wants to prove something to himself - maybe he really needs to see that he can be "normal," if you know what I mean. You obviously know your son far better than I do, but I'm imagining his smiling face when he crosses that finish line without his mom following him.

Maybe? :)

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Its a Turkey Trot? I'm not a runner either, but I'm doing our turkey trot in 3 weeks too. I did one last spring. and I walked. lots of people walked. you might as well do it too. can't hurt huh? I mean you have to get up early anyway and get there. there are tons of people that walk in these things. I was def not one of the last ones in our walk. I didn't walk with anyone, but I met people along the way and made new friends.

7. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Yep, Sarah is right. He needs to do a few trial runs. Everyone is different. Running makes Katie Jane's bg's go high due to adrenaline. We used to follow behind her in the car when she was practice running.

YES, YES, YES, there is a difference in carbs for this! You need complex carbs not simple carbs.

Katie Jane is a runner and here is what works for her......

1.All runners usually start carbing up the night before. Doesn't works so well for diabetics but she still joins in and starts eating pasta for dinner the night before a race.

2.She eats a complex carb and sometimes a protien the morning of the race. Oatmeal seems to be the most stabilizing for her. Some kids like bananas but they make her stomach hurt when running.

3. 15 minutes or so before the start of the race she takes her bg one last time. If it is below 130 or 140 she needs more carbs (15 to 30 more) to sustain her through the race so she doesn't go low. Gatorade works well at this point with electrolytes. (Juice makes her throw up when she drinks it just before running - too much pure sugar). If she's high then she just deals with it - she'd rather be high than low when running. She's only gone low once during a race and it wasn't pretty so she avoids that completely now.

Hope this helps.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Since he is on the MM CGMS could you just go on that during the race? I vote for Gatorade not G2 but the real G. Also, a reduced temp basal an hour before you start.

9. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Erin ran a 5k this summer--actually we ran quite a bit and this works for us--run a temp basal of 70-80% started about an hour before the race-also keep it on for a couple of hours after since this is where her lows occur. Since most 5k's are in the morning we eat breakfast but take away .5 from her breakfast bolus. I ran with her and carried a mini along with tabs to treat just in case--did not need. Have fun! I think running is so good for them!

10. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Oh, did want to mention one more thing....

During running season (cross country in the fall and track in the spring) when Katie Jane is running every day her bg's are MUCH more stable than when she is not running.

11. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

He should "train" for it...both for fitness and to work out the BG issues.