- advertisement -

Hba1c.

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by Lsx, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Lsx

Lsx New Member

What are people's average Hba1c?
    Mine has been in constant double figures for the last three of the four years that i have been diagnosed bar one exception, before christmas when i amazingly went from 13.9% to 9.7% in three months, only to be told by my doctor that i "could have done better".
    Anyone got any stories to tell?
    I'm new to this forum so just feeling like i need someone who genuinly understands how i feel to tell me i'm not being petty about things :)
    xoxox

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

my son's are in my signature below.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My last few are:

Mine tend to hang out in the 7's. I want to change that, these last few months I didn't keep a real tight watch on my bgs, but even when I do, I can't seem to break 7.0. I want to try to get on Apidra and hopefully change things.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Mine have been between 6.4 and 7.9 since 6 months after dx. Right now it's at 6.5.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Mine have been from 6.3 to 7.2, excluding diagnosis when it was over 16.

HOWEVER, studies show that in different people the same A1c can mean different averages. And as Ellen has posted and is also fairly obvious if you listen to enough people, blood sugar control is not entirely a matter of effort.
    I have a diabetes friend who has had D for fifteen years and in her teens all of her A1cs were in the 10-12 percent range despite trying; as an adult putting in a lot of effort her A1cs are between 7 and 10 percent, mostly closer to 9. In the DCCT, the group that took more than 2 shots per day and adjusted insulin doses once per week or more got an average A1c of 7.0 with a goal of 6.0; the control group averaged an A1c of 9.0. After a few years, the trial group's A1c went back up to the mid 8s. 8% is about the average for type 1 adults, and teenagers have more difficulty with blood sugar than adults do.

That said, I think getting it down from the double digits is very likely to be doable.

Your doctor telling you that you "could have done better" instead of suggesting how to do better is not good.
    Here are some of the obvious questions that aren't obvious to people without a good diabetes education:
    1. How many times per day do you test your blood sugar? How many times per day is your prescription for, and will your doctor write it for more?
    2. Do you take another shot (or bolus) to bring it down when you are high?
    3. What do you consider high?
    4. What insulin(s) do you use?
    5. Do you adjust your own insulin doses? What does it take to get you to raise or lower an insulin dose?
    6. Are you more scared of lows than you should be?
    7. Are you getting any help in managing your blood sugar, or is it all on you?
    8. Do you inject or bolus every time you eat when you aren't low, or if on NPH do you only eat the number of carbs that matches your insulin?
    9. Do you think you're on the type of insulin regimen that best matches the way you want to manage your diabetes?

6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Lsx - that is a wonderful drop! I am surprised you didn't get any encouragement. My dd is a young teen - so you can't really count her HbA1C because I am sorting everything out for her. Do you carb count? I was also wondering - if you have finished growing - have you thought about a low carb diet? There is a really good post by a man who had diabetes for 64 years and dropped from 10-12 to 6ish just by changing his diet.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=46398&highlight=richard+a1c

Worth a try!;)

By the way - these wonderful people who have replied above are among the most switched on teenagers I have heard about! They have GREAT A1c's because they have a huge amount of knowledge. Well worth getting advice from them!:D

7. Leah

Leah Approved members

I started at 9 and got my a1c down to 5.3

8. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

i dont remember the exact numbers, but evr since i was diagnosed, ive had a1c's around 9, my doctor wants me around 7, i think ive made it ther once, but nevr stayed, thatll change this next appointment, ive had mor lowish and lows than i should, hope my a1c isnt too low, but my doctor should be pretty happy, ur doctor shouldve been proud that you went down from a 13.9 to a 9.7, thats a large amount, or at least by my standards, idk wat others think, but as long as u keep up with ur numbrs and make sure ur not too high u should get betr a1c's in time. hope u get the a1c u need to be at

9. Lauren23

Lauren23 New Member

I try to get into the 6s but I'm usually in the 7s.

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

In the first year she was down to the 6's. Since then, we work our butts off to get her below 8. We get them taken quarterly, in the last year 2 were in the 7's, the other two were in the 8's.