- advertisement -

Having foot issues

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I know most don't worry about feet issues with diabetes, but there is some correlation with Diabetics having trouble with their feet...right ??

My 15 year old daughter woke up to a swollen big toe that was red, hot, and oozing...she doesn't remember injuring it.

We been soaking it and treating it with TLC.

Everyone says not to worry when they are young, it seems a bit random that a swollen infected toe happens to a rather healthy teenager with type 1 diabetes.

Is it different for our kids..vs type 2 older adults?

We are soaking it, treating it with antibiotics and keeping watch that it does not get worse.
    It is not like anything I have ever seen, thinking a bug bite or microscopic cut that got infected.

2. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

**Icky alert folks -

Ingrown toenail? Lauren has had those (because she picks rather than clipping her nails). We soak the toe in a pan of hot water (as hot as she can stand it) with a little Dawn dish soap for 20-30 minutes. The doctor said the squeeze (gently) the pus out after soaking. When it was pretty bad, she soaked it 3 times a day.

The foot problem you are probably thinking of is diabetic neuropathy which is a nerve disorder that people who have had diabetes for a long time sometimes experience. I don't think it involves redness and oozing.

3. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Katerina had her first open sores on her feet when she was 8 years old, after 5 yrs with T1D. The A1c is usually way out of whack, very high when it gets to that point. Hers was in the 10 range at the time. We treated hers with a betadyne soak for 3 days, lots of bleachy clean white socks, and oral antibiotic.

4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

It might be an ingrown toenail like was suggested. I would seek medical care for it due to the diabetes. It may need an antibiotic. Slower wound healing can happen with D, so that is part of the concern. The issue with neuropathy is that sometimes people don't feel a wound until it is really bad, and then the wound healing issue compounds it and people can end up with complications quickly.

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

It sounds like some kind of infection or an ingrown toe nail. I would definitely get it checked out by the doctor. I am pretty sure it is not neuropathy. Neuropathy symptoms include numbness and tingling as beginning symptoms plus burning, stabbing pains that begin in the toes and work upwards. Your daughter's symptoms definitely don't match neuropathy but do match an infection or an ingrown toe nail. It is a good idea to have it looked at by the doctor. Whether it is an infection or an ingrown toenail both can hurt like the dickens. I hope she feels better soon.

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

get her in to see a podiatrist.

If you have any nurse friends up there get them to tell you who the good ones are. Theres always one you don't want to see.kwim?

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Couldn't agree more with last post, LOL! Our podiatrist is amazing, but the other one in the practice...well...

8. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

I work for a podiatrist and we treat this just about every day. It sounds like an ingrown nail...our soaking instructions are 1 quart of warm water, 3 tablespoons of table salt and 3 tablespoons of white vinegar. Soak twice a day for 15 minutes each time, pat dry, apply antibiotic cream and cover with a bandaid.

I would definately take her to a podiatrist to have it treat, but do the soaks in the meantime. Red, inflamed skin does not always equal infection....usually is just red, inflamed skin.

9. Bigbluefrog

Ingrown toe nails, I thought it would look like the nail is turning inward, I do need to get an appointment with the podiatrist. Stuff always happens during the holidays and your limited in time options.

We have been soaking it 3 times a day, hot water with epsom salt, then hydrogen peroxide to clean, and antibacterial ointment. This appears to be helping with inflammation. If it isn't better by Monday I will see if I can get her in.

thanks for all the input...I did not realize that this is such a common ailment.

10. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Hope it isn't so sore anymore. Your family doctor or pediatrician can help too. We've never seen a podiatrist for Lauren's ingrown toenail, just her pediatrician.

11. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I agree with everyone, sounds like an ingrown.

Bobby started getting them a few months ago, I could never see anything odd with the toenail, it would just get red...then swollen...then pus filled. We would soak with epsom salts 2x/day, put neosporin on it and check the fit of his shoes (for pinching, toe scrunching, etc.)

After the 3rd one the pediatrician sent us to a podiatrist - that will be my first stop next time! She permanently removed part of his nail (sounds awful, but it was no biggie and toe looks perfectly normal after) Took all of 20 minutes in her office, 2 weeks of bandaids and neosporin after - and his toe has been perfect since!

Funny thing is, after all that with his big toe on his right foot...now his big toe on his left foot is starting to get ingrowns! ugh

12. Bigbluefrog

Ouch! It sounds simple enough, her other toe is now getting red and swollen.
    Her shoes fit okay, but i think we will go in anyway just to see if their is a better fix.

Searching for podiatrist....I agree why not go directly to the foot doctor.