- advertisement -

Having a bad day

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Meredithsmom, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Just when it seems like I have this GF thing down, I get completely overwhelmed and want to scream and cry. Meredith seems to be doing better. Every now and then she says she has a tummy ache like she had gluten. So, of course, I go over everything she ate and try to find what I missed in ingredients or if there was cross contamination. I haven't figured anything out yet. And, it seems like she changes her mind that she likes certain gf foods. Like one day she liked a gf cookie, the next day when I sent it to school for a snack, she hated it. Same kind of cookie from the same package. I know she's only 5 and has a lot to deal with. But I still get frustrated with this disease. We see the GI doc in 2 weeks for the first time since diagnosis. Hopefully her blood work will be improved.

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm so sorry it's such a struggle still.

I know that my son gets "tummy toubles" every once in a while and I always worry that it's celiac-related. But... after I question him, I usually come to the conclusion that it's just regular tummy troubles -- he ate too much cheese, he had something spicy, he's coming down with something, etc.

Is she at all involved with the meal planning or prep yet? I've found that getting my son involved and making the choices of what he'll eat that week tend to make him more invested in actually eating it.

Good luck - I hope you find something that work for you.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

It's hard at that age, and frustrating when they change what they like constantly.

(((hugs)))

I don't know if I would expect the blood work to change too much after only 2 weeks. They didn't test Nat for a couple months, and she was still elevated...better, but not in the zone yet.

We're 4 or 5 (I can't remember :eek:) years down the road. It does get easier.

4. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

I somtimes wonder if the "tummy aches" come from some of the bean flours that can be in the gf foods. I haven't been that good of a detective yet. When things settle down, we will see what I can come up with.

We were diagnosed in August and will have our first follow up on Nov. 16. Hopefully the numbers will be down.

Yesterday, Meredith's teacher called me to tell me that she licked all the jelly off her sandwich and didn't eat any of the bread. It's the same bread that she's been eating for 3 months. However, when I asked her she told me that now it's yucky. Great...not I have to find another bread that she will eat. Today she took some homemade chicken tenders and fruit, so we avoided the bread issue all together.

There is a Celiac Expo in a neighboring community on Sat. We are planning on going and I am hoping that Meredith will find some more foods she likes. Thanks for listening.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think it helps if they don't eat any bread for a while. Then when you give them some gf bread, it has more appeal.

What kind of bread was she eating? Danielle's fav is the Udi's white bread or the Udi's bagels.

Corn Bread is a good alternative. I think I have posted a recipe I use before, but i can post again if you are interested. Danielle likes me to make corn muffins & she will take those for lunch, eat at breakfast or whenever.

Kim

6. carcha

carcha Approved members