- advertisement -

Have you sent your son (T1) to a day baseball camp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, May 24, 2014.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I am a teacher and will be out of school for the summer in about a week.

My son is 7 and loves baseball. THe local high school is having a baseball camp during the day (9-2) for 4 days after school gets out.

I know he would enjoy the camp, but I don't think I would be able to leave him. Thinking that I would have to sit there for the duration. He does have a CGM and is pretty responsible, but I am not comfortable with all the heat and activity that he would be able to monitor himself. Since I am not working then, it wouldn't be a problem for me to stay and watch.

Has anyone had their child do a camp like this? Do you just stay with them? ANy other advice?
    Or should I just wait until he is a little older where he can monitor himself?

Thanks

2. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

My son also plays baseball...and no, I've never left him. He is 9, almost 10. He will be doing a Saturday morning camp this summer, from 9-12, and I will stay in the stands and read or whatever.
    If you can, I would talk to the organizers and coaches that will be there and ask them if it's okay if you're around somewhere close, just so that he knows mom is available, but isn't right on top of him. From your signature, it appears he's been diagnosed for almost 5 years, but he is still 7, so I understand your concern.

Good luck and I hope he has a GREAT time!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Technically, if the school system is involved in this either leasing space to an outside group or actually running the camp I'm pretty sure they cannot discriminate and that means training staff to help him be safe. You may not want to go down that path, but I'm just saying.

DD did an Arts in the Park camp for a few summers. 9-3 I think with sports, arts, and lots of theatre and dance in the outdoors. Not as active as sports camp but active. I did some training with the teen counselors and I'd drop her off, swing by 10 min before lunch and oversee her bolus. I probably hung around more than I needed too.

You know your kid and what he can manage and how he responds to sports. I hope you can find some balance where you are handy, without having to sit there for four days ;-)

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would talk to the instructors at the beginning and see if they can help you. With a CGM, all he needs is the ability to stop what he's doing and react to it, or call you. If one of the adults would be his "point person" if he needs something, and knows how to react to the alarms, you can probably leave him for short periods.

When my daughter was that age, she had dance class for one hour, an hour break, and then another class. We would leave her and she would have a lunchbox with dinner to eat between classes. Both of her teachers and the woman who worked the front desk knew she had diabetes and to call with any questions / issues and she knew to go to one of them if she had a concern, and she knew what to do in certain situations (i.e. below 100 eat fruit snacks because she's exercising, below 100 when dosing for dinner to take off x carbs, etc). It gave us a ton of freedom for her to be able to do that.