- advertisement -

Have you (non T1) ever worn a Dexcom sensor?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I know it wasn't prescribed for me, so if this thread is a violation of any terms, l'll delete it.

I got the email that my daughter's dexcom shipped on Friday (she chose blue, I'm glad I didn't just order the pink one!) - should be here Tuesday.

I'm really nervous about insertion and my daughter is also nervous and not currently over the moon about wearing it (she's the biggest flip flopper - when her numbers are all over, she wants one, when things settle down, she doesn't). Today, she doesn't want it. Next week could be different.

I'm thinking about wearing the first sensor myself so I know how painful it is to insert, whether it's itchy, how bulky it is, etc. and if I goof up, I do it on myself, not her. I also thought it might be interesting to both her and me to see how large the excursions are for someone with a functioning pancreas - although maybe that would be depressing, I don't know.

Before I had this idea, I asked Dexcom for an extra sensor in case of a screw up on the first insertion and they said they don't do that, but to call in if it didn't work.

I would not call to get the sensor replaced - she would just start one week later than originally planned.

Is this a crazy idea? I know it's wasteful, but I'm thinking it may be an investment in all of our mental and physical healths to "waste" one (my wearing it will encourage her to wear it)

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I've never worn one BUT I've worn every one of the insertion sets my daughter has used to see what they feel like before using them on her. When she was dxd in the hospital, I stuck myself with a syringe also before I gave her a shot. So, I would do the same with dex.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I've worn an expired 7+ sensor.. found it no trouble at all...

Don't forget that however you feel it, it may not be the same for your daughter and you don't want to prejudice her feelings toward it at all. I hated wearing a pump attached while "I" did a trial but it bothers Rachel NOT AT ALL.. :cwds:

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've worn my son's for a day or so. I've worn everything he has, before he wears them. I consider it a very good 'waste' of one sensor (or site).

I wouldn't bother trying to do it for a whole week. Your skin is not her skin, so you can't really say that what you experience as far as irritation, will be what she experiences.

But it's definitely a good way to get comfortable with insertion, and taping, and how the product works.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've worn an infusion site and a MM sensor. I've never worn a Dex sensor.

Insertion is really easy. I think I remember that you do manual insertion angled sites, and if so, this will be a piece of cake for you. The needle is thinner than a Comfort Short needle, and most everyone says that it hurts less. The insertion process feels like it has a bunch of steps, but if you just follow along with a You Tube video, you'll really be just fine.

We have extra sensors, and we're in Illinois too, so if you want one to try on yourself, I'd be happy to send you one. :)

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I wore the MM for a week after my daughter started on Dexcom. She says there's no comparison between the two (Sof-sensor vs. G4) and that I would make a lousy diabetic.:D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Also ^

If I've stuck my kid with it, I've stuck myself (and often hubby) with it first. I think not to do so is strange.

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I wore J's old 7+ sensor for a week. No pain, and it was interesting to see how a non diabetics blood sugar fluctuates. I discovered when I am *craving* food, but not really hungry that it's because my BG is dropping.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We just started on the Dex, and I have not worn it, but I have worn K'sMedtronic SofSensors several times. I highly recommend doing so. It gave me the confidence to enforce its use because I realized that, despite appearances, it really wasn't painful for me at all.

Remember, too, that you will almost certainly get more than one week's use out of the sensors, so you probably do not need to wait an extra week to start your daughter on the Dex.

Good luck!

10. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

My son just started the Dex on 10/30 and my biggest fear was insertion, because his Pod is automatic and the Dex is manual. I read the steps over and over and every time I read them, I got more scared.
    Our CDE did his first insertion in the office, and when she did it, it seemed so much simpler than the written instructions. Unfortunately, my DS heard me say I was scared about the insertion, so he will only let dad do it. I have not worn one, and neither has my DH.
    We have pricked our fingers, used a syringe on ourselves and the pen needles from the Lantus/Humalog we did prior to the Omnipod. We did not put a pod on ourselves because, well, not for nothing, those are expensive and they don't like replacing them even when they are defective. I will say also that none of our sensors have lasted more than 6 days (and that was just one of them, the others failed within 24-48 hours), but Dex has replaced every one of them (and I will be calling in 2 more failures tomorrow that happened Thursday and Friday).

11. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I find that watching videos on You Tube is almost better than reading the directions. It looks so simple when the people do it. My husband read the instruction for the Dexcom, but found it extremely helpful to watch a real person do it, including some 3 year olds.

I did not wear a sensor because I was way too anxious to get it on my daughter, but I think it is a great idea.