- advertisement -

have you ever heard of this one??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Feb 26, 2011.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Well my daughter had problems with lice last year in school. But now she has been homeschooled. and she has been in the clear since the last episode. now, she has them. and we believe it was because her cousin came over for a sleep over last weekend. well. my sister have been debateing on how only she got them. I sleep with her so i treated my hair also but no findings of lice. her cousin was sleeping with her last weekend over her friends house. and she was scratching her head quite a bit last weekend when she was here. Well, my family seem to be saying lately, that she just must be more susseptible to them, because of her diabtes. she said isnt that what they say. I told her i dont know where she got that info from. They are the ones who keep saying that. Has anyone ever heard of that?? i sure hope they are wrong

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's just silly. Lice are equal opportunity parasites.

3. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i am just pissed off about it. it really upsets me. this is my family!. I usually get them along with her because i do sleep with her. but no one else gets them in our house. ugh! My mother could swear she read that somewhere and seemed very adomit about it.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well I think you can just point to fact sheets on lice that it has nothing to do with diabetes. And the fact that your child who is homeschooled is getting them has only to do with outside people bringing them in. not diabetes.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

A louse infection is not like a bacterial or viral infection. Your body does not fight it off on its own. If you catch a virus like the cold or a bacteria like a staff infection of a cut, your body's immune system attacks the invader and destroys it and sets up antibodies to prevent another attack from being successful.

No such thing for lice. They are animals. Parasites. No antibodies for that. So it seems to me there's no being more or less susceptible. That's like being more or less susceptible to dog bites!

The only thing I can think is if higher blood sugar somehow creates more energy to make more lice, so the infection could be bigger once it starts because of more nits? But my understanding with blood-sucking creatures (sorry!) is that it's the protein that is needed, not carbs! I've certainly never heard anyone say diabetics have a harder time with lice than anyone else. But if they do, they certainly aren't more susceptible to them!

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

It's so hard to tell where lice come from. I was 100% sure I knew our last round came from school, but I think now it could have come from shopping, trying on clothes or hats that someone else had tried on. Or sitting next to someone at the amusement park we'd been to. It's not necessarily the cousin, because lice tends to hit a community in waves so it could just be coincidence that she has it at the same time!